Piping Gel

Decorating By flawless1 Updated 23 Jul 2015 , 4:37am by flawless1

flawless1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flawless1 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 12:18am
post #1 of 6

I am new to baking and was wondering if anyone has ever used piping gel to write Happy Birthday on a cake iced in Buttercream . And if so does the piping gel affect the taste of the buttercream. 

Thanks

5 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 1:25am
post #2 of 6

I have never tried to write with piping gel. I did use clear piping gel one time and put blue dye on it to use it for a water scene on top of my cake.  I did not get to taste it but the people who I made it for never complained about the taste of the piping gel.

Have you tried adding a little bit of milk to a small amount of buttercream which will make it flow easy and use it with a small round tube for writing. You don't want too much but just enough to make it easy to write with. Try it and write on wax paper to see how it works before writing on actual cake. Not sure what round tube others use but I think I use a #4 round tube. 

sweets2thesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweets2thesweet Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 1:31am
post #3 of 6

Piping gel should not affect the taste of your buttercream, especially if you are just using a little bit to write happy birthday.

sweets2thesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweets2thesweet Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 1:32am
post #4 of 6

If you're worried about it, put a little piping gel on a little bit of buttercream and taste it before putting any on the cake.

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 1:51am
post #5 of 6

Maybe you could use tinted buttercream to write the message?

flawless1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flawless1 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 4:37am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for everyone's response. I will try them all on parchment paper and see which ones work the best.

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%