Buttercreams Not Taking Color

Decorating By laumank Updated 21 Jul 2015 , 2:15pm by Brookebakescake

laumank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laumank Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 5:06am
post #1 of 4

Hello,

I have been having a problem with my buttercreams not taking color. I have been making swiss meringue buttercream and regular buttercream and neither one are accepting the color. I used wilton color gels. 

They all stay a pastel color and are speckled. I can get the color more vibrant if I add water to my icing and mix it a lot...but it's still never as bold or accurate as I want. 

This is a recent problem, only the last 4 or 5 times I've baked. I have checked with both of my mentors and they have no ideas. 

Help!!

Thanks

Kimberley

3 replies
810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 10:49am
post #2 of 4

I used to have the same problem until I changed from gel colours - I used Americolour but the brand doesn't matter.  I now use liquid, oil based candy colours Chefmaster is the brand I use.  I think because the colours are oil based they mix into the buttercream - which is essentially a fat, and the colour stays consistent.  I have used Chefmaster in both SMBC and IMBC very successfully.

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 4

Do you use salt in your buttercream recipe?  I had some issue then I read somewhere to be sure to dissolve your salt in the liquid used in your icing to ensure it dissolves. ( Just a thought.)  Also, I have never had good luck with Wilton colors.  Once they are opened, they dry out quickly and get tacky.  I haven't had any issues with the Americolor gels and if I do have issues, Americolor has great customer service to answer your questions.

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 4

Have you tried adding the water based colors to the water based part of the smbc?maybe if you add the color before you add the fat it'll take the color better. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%