Cake Topper Q's - Securing & Protecting

Decorating By runnerbeanarts

runnerbeanarts Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 1

Hello! I'm new and while I don't make cakes (though I was a cake decorator at a store for a while), I make cake toppers and I have some questions. I'm happy to have found this place and hopeful you can offer some thoughts to help me out.

My cake toppers are made of paper, and mounted (glued) to a wood base. Sometimes the wood base is wrapped with paper, or has a small paper label on the bottom. This means the base and the cake/frosting should not touch each other. Is there a standard/common/proper method for separating the base from the cake? So far, I've just used a small circle of wax paper or parchment paper to do this, but I feel like there might be a better way..? I've only done these toppers for family and friends, so wax paper has been fine, but if I want to branch out, I'd like to be able to tell a customer exactly how get it on there, and include (or reference) what's needed.

And related, the toppers I make are relatively lightweight, but it seems like they should be secured or anchored in some way, so as not to fall off the cake if there was a bump or a mighty gust of wind. Is there a typical method of securing a lightweight cake topper to a cake?

Thank you for any insight you could offer me!

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%