Crazy Story

Business By rychevamp Updated 25 Jul 2015 , 1:54am by rychevamp

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 13

I just wanted to post this crazy thing that happened a couple of weekends ago (a little long :) ).

I work for a large restaurant where we host weddings, up to 120 people. We are located along a creek side where there are summer rentals and people can paddle board, etc right in front.

We had a large wedding party in the lower greenhouse room which is right at the creek edge, and has a small patio outside.

The wedding coordinator asked me to help get the cake table set up, so we were arranging the cake and cupcakes on the outdoor patio, and there was three women and a 10-year old girl on paddle boards going by. The girl started hanging on the brick wall, and I wasn't sure what's was going on.

I was done for the day, so I left at this point. Apparently after I left, the mother asked if the the little girl could use the restroom. Allison didn't want to let them in, but she said fine, just be quick. The little girl comes back with a wedding favor and Allison told her not to take the favors and to leave. 

She heads back upstairs to the office, and a few minutes later a server runs in and says they are throwing the cupcakes in the creek!

She calls 911 and gives a description of the four of them and they caught them at the beach nearby.

So, they picked up the entire cupcake stand and threw the whole thing with the majority of the cupcakes in the water. 

Allison called a nearby bakery and had all the cupcakes they had boxed up and we at least had something for them. 

I think they should have charged them with more than they did, but they had to pay for the cost of what they destroyed, plus what we had to buy. 

I really don't know if this was just random, and these women were just idiots, but some of us thought it could have been a scorned ex or something. Great example to set for your kid, huh?

I've never had anything that crazy happen before.

12 replies
cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 13

That is bizarre! 

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 13

Wow! Are you saying that their only punishment was paying for what they destroyed and the replacements? No vandalism, theft, destruction of property, trespassing, nothing else? Gee, nothing much there to deter them. They should have been charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor and child services should have been called. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 13

wow what a mess -- i'm glad it wasn't worse but man what a jolt to your sensibilities and who could believe nut jobs like this getting off so light -- crazy crazy

rychevamp Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 12:25am
post #5 of 13

Yeah, all of the above mentioned charges are what I had in mind, but I asked the other day and I guess reimbursement was all that was done.  I don't know why they were let off so easy. 

I just couldn't believe it when I heard about it.  My cupcakes were so mistreated. And, the bride ended up with blue cupcakes with seashells instead of the nice blush pink I had made.  I was surprised the cake survived, it was on the table right beside the cupcakes. I guess they grabbed what they could. 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 4:18am
post #6 of 13

People are crazy!  It could have been anything from a scorned ex to "No one talks to my baby like that and gets away with it!"

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 10:57am
post #7 of 13

Wow that really is crazy, if I was the bride I don't know that reimbursement only would be ok, I would want more from the idiots to make up for the fact that your beautiful matching cupcakes had to be substituted for something that didn't match the wedding.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 21 Jul 2015 , 11:18am
post #8 of 13

I did a wedding show a year or so ago and a kid walked up to one of my cakes (a competition piece!) and pulled a chunk off the front, laughed, ran to her parents (who were watching the whole time), who also laughed.  Some people are scum and there's nothing you can do about it unfortunately. :-(

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Jul 2015 , 1:08pm
post #9 of 13

What a bunch of creeps

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 24 Jul 2015 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 13

If they were your cupcakes and wedding cake, I am wondering if you would have had to go to the police station and press charges against them. I really don't know how that works!! Does anybody? I know here in SC if something happens and I call the police and press charges against them, then the police will take them away and they have to go through court and a lawyer and it costs them a fortune to hire a lawyer. 

I guess the venue did not press charges if the woman agreed to replace the cupcakes. I would think the bride could have pressed charges too. But here in SC, you have to call police right when things go down. If you wait two weeks later police will do nothing about it. Sounds like bride and Groom's big day was ruined!! This is really sad!! Could be like others have said an ex who was obviously very mad!!!! This was really uncalled for!!!I bet the venue will never let anyone else come in who needs to go to bathroom unless they are on the bride and groom's list of invitations!!!

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 24 Jul 2015 , 1:51pm
post #11 of 13

I realize now that you were just helping set up cupcakes so I guess no one pressed charges against the perpetrators!! Probably because a child was involved!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 1:44am
post #12 of 13

I'd try to get them charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor along with everything else!

rychevamp Posted 25 Jul 2015 , 1:54am
post #13 of 13

Well, I work there, and the cake and cupcakes were part of the wedding package, so it wouldn't really be me that would file the complaint. I would have thought more would have been done, but the people there are screwy about things. Things that I would think should be a big deal aren't. 

I'm gonna ask the GM when he gets back tomorrow if there is more info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%