Securing A Doll On Top Of Cake?

Decorating By sgalvan62 Updated 20 Jul 2015 , 4:25pm by sgalvan62

sgalvan62 Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 5:33am
post #1 of 4

Hi, a little advice please

im wanting to put a Elsa "Barbie doll" on top of cake. What the best way to secure it? Put feet into cake and use a dowel under dress? Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

( my niece wants the doll on top )

thanks

3 replies
julia1812 Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 8:43am
post #2 of 4

There are 2 types of dolls, a barbie doll with legs like you buy in a shop and the cake dolls which only have a stick from the hips down. I used both before. For the real barbie doll you have to wrap the legs in cling film and carve a hole into the cake big enough to insert the legs. For the stick doll you simply make the cake and decorate it and stick the doll top in. It's faster, less messy and the doll is much cheaper. But if she wants to have a doll to play with after eating the cake you need to use a barbie. They both don't need to be secured with extra dowels or anything, never had an issue since the barbie legs act like dowels anyway and the ones with the stick are not too top heavy to move.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 4

julia1812 gave good advice for how this is normally done.

But after re-reading your post it sounds like you want the doll just standing on top of the cake. The only way to do that would be to purchase a "doll stand", usually sold at stores that sell decorative dolls, plates or cups and saucers and plates and such.  They are also sold online through ebay.

You will want to be careful that Elsa's dress doesn't touch the icing or the dress will have grease stains. I would probably put a strip of plastic wrap along the edge of her dress. You will also want to clean the stand and wrap it in plastic wrap to ensure that it is food safe.  You likely should put 3-5 straws or dowels under where the stand would sit on the cake. I would also pipe extra icing around it to be extra secure.

sgalvan62 Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 4

Thank both for your advice ð the doll stand is a great idea and I will take all the precautions you suggested . Thank you again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%