Second Tasting?

Business By SCCB Updated 17 Aug 2015 , 7:59am by leta

SCCB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCCB Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 18

Please let me start off by saying I do not charge for a cake tasting for a wedding.  Although I do several wedding cakes a year, I did not feel the need to charge for tastings.... until now. 

I had a cake tasting scheduled with a bride and groom today and they were late.  I told the aunt (person paying for the wedding cake) that I could not wait on them because I had a busy schedule (they had already changed the cake tasting time from morning to afternoon).  The aunt asked if I would leave the cakelettes for the bride and groom to try and I agreed.  I received a message from the aunt about 30 minutes later asking me to call her.  She proceeds to tell me "she went bridezilla on me and doesn't like any of the cakes or fillings!" She proceeds to say that the bride wants to know if I had another filling flavor and that she also wants to know if she could have another cake tasting.  I told the aunt that "I am sorry but I only do one cake tasting with the bride and groom and the reason I only do one is because I do not charge for tastings."  I tell all of my wedding clients they can choose up to 4 cake flavors and 4 fillings to try at the tastings, and these folks did just that.  I made the aunts wedding cake last year and have made several other cakes for other events for her so she knows my quality of work and what most of my cakes taste like.  I felt bad for telling her that I would not do another tasting, but I can't help but feel like they are just wanting free cake.  My gut is also telling me that if I do end up making the wedding cake, they will find something wrong with it and want a refund once it's over.  Have any of you ever been asked for a second tasting?  How did you handle it? Could my gut be right?  Should I find a polite way out of making the wedding cake? Oh and I did ask the aunt what the bride didn't like about the cakes, but she couldn't tell me, she said she didn't know.  I thought she would say it was the coconut or the pecans, or too sweet, etc. but she couldn't tell me anything.  I feel that if she didn't like any of the first 4 cakes and fillings she tried, then chances are she won't like any of the others either.  Ugh.... 

17 replies
Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 18

Gigantic red flag here.

Not all money is good money.

Tell them you no longer have availability on that date, wish them well and move on.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 18

I agree with Jedi Knight.  This bride has shown you her true colors.  Even her aunt has taken to calling her a bridezilla!

Run, do not walk to the nearest exit.

SCCB Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 18

Thanks Jedi.  I knew something was not right but I wanted to reach out to other bakers to make sure my spidey senses were correct.  :)

SCCB Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 18

The batman themed wedding cake should have been my first clue!  I know simple, elegant, and traditional cakes aren't for everyone, but a batman themed wedding cake?  That would have been a first for me.  :)

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 18

Nothing wrong with themed wedding cakes. Hell, if I ever marry I am so having a Star Trek cake.

Been a Trekkie since I was a kid.

SCCB Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 18

I like themed cakes, I have just never had a themed wedding cake order.  It would have been my first for sure.  I usually get the themed grooms cake orders.  :)

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 18

Agree with a previous poster,  tell the Aunt you are booked for the date.  Follow your gut on this one.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 18

I, too, would pass on this one!   A couple years ago I had a bride ask me for a cake....I knew her....then she bring me a pix of a 10 tiered cake that was black an d green and quilted with bows and sequins, and on and on....long story short.  With my other bookings I could not take it on.  I referred her to a friend whom I feel is my equal and does excellent work.

THEY DID NOTHING BUT GET ON FACEBOOK AFTER THE WEDDING AND BAD MOUTH HER ON THE CAKE!  I saw they cake, it was just what you asked for...it was hideous to begin with!  Then she started wanting a refund....my friend said, "Sure, just as you return the cake in unused condition I'll be happy to refund you!"    .....end of story!

Dzrt-Bkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dzrt-Bkr Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 1:08am
post #10 of 18

To the aunt..... "It is wonderful having you part of my clientele. I do not offer second, third or fourth tastings as customers will know from the first tasting if my product is what they are looking for. I do appreciate that you considered me."

For the niece...if she went bridezilla on the SAMPLES it is  guaranteed, write it in concrete , that it will be a 1000 times worse before, during and after!

Run 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 8:51pm
post #11 of 18

Go with your gut feeling!!! They sound like trouble to me!!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 9:07pm
post #12 of 18

OMG - RUN!  This is a disaster in the making.  And the fact that bridezilla didn't like any of the flavors means nothing.  Was each sample a true representation of the flavor?  Were all the samples fresh and edible? Wouldn't a normal person expect that if the samples were good that anything you baked would be good? There's no need to taste every flavor you offer.  That's just stupid.  I say get out while the getting's good.

And I would love to do a Star Trek wedding.  You go, Jedi!

SCCB Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 10:46pm
post #13 of 18

Thank you all for your responses.  I have not heard back from the aunt and if/when I do, I will be booked the day of the wedding.  

I hate to have to do that to clients but sometimes they give me no choice. I go out of my way to accommodate my clients as much as possible but this time, I will have to stand firm with NO! 

JGifford, yes all of my tasting cakes were fresh and represented what they would have as a wedding cake.  I was floored when she asked for a second tasting. My thought was if she didn't like what I served her at this tasting, she won't like any of the others either.  

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 11:27pm
post #14 of 18

I know I'm late to this party, but always trust your gut feeling. And if the aunt calls back tell her that since the bride didn't like the cake you don't see any reason to go ahead with another tasting or with the cake order. Then refer her to someone you don't like. 

SparklyDust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SparklyDust Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 1:16am
post #15 of 18

Second tasting??? what is she trying to dig? gold out of the cakes?!? 

If it was true she didnt really like the cakes why would she wants to come back?? sound very fishy to me. Will people never get it? we dont just pull cakes out of our behind! We bakers should be more firm with these type of people. I've been reading so much about this kind of spoiled brat customers in here and bakers trying to please them in any way to the point of giving free cake! a 3-4 or even 5 tiers cakes just because she or he think the cake it's a bit dry or too sweet or a bit crooked here and there. Next time if they want the money back tell them to bring the whole cake back then they can get the money back and only 50%! make them sign it before start baking. I'm so sorry I just feel so angry some people can be so rude and heartless!

*sorry my English is not too good :)

Dzrt-Bkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dzrt-Bkr Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 2:35am
post #16 of 18

OOOOHHH mmmyyy goodness costumeczar!!..........."Then refer her to someone you don't like"    snorted pepsi out of my nose on that! LOL..........

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 3:41am
post #17 of 18

OOOOHHH mmmyyy goodness costumeczar!!..........."Then refer her to someone you don't like"    snorted pepsi out of my nose on that! LOL..........

Heh heh...That's what I do.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 17 Aug 2015 , 7:59am
post #18 of 18

I don't let the couple choose all the flavors of the tasting.  I have 3 of the favorite combinations.  They are the most popular because they are the best tasting and most people will find at least one that they love.  I ask if they have any flavor requests and say I will do my best to have it at the tasting, but no guarantee.  EVERY time someone tells me they want peanut butter cake and I have it at the tasting, it is NEVER chosen over the regular flavors.   I do agree that if they weren't pleased with the samples, there's no real reason to taste or discuss anything going forward.  My guess is the couple was having a frustrating day making it to appointments, and maybe a little passive aggressiveness with the paying Aunt who already had a baker in mind.  I wouldn't dismiss lightly the Aunt who is standing there with checkbook in hand.  I have done second tastings for various reasons, but I don't really have any bridezillas.  I'd maybe agree to it if they booked the cake and paid 50% before the tasting, then they'd realize they have to find something they like and stop being brats about it.  But I also don't have a problem with telling them there's probably a baker out there that's more their style.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%