Please Helppp

Decorating By SweetcakeZ89 Updated 20 Jul 2015 , 10:21pm by SweetcakeZ89

SweetcakeZ89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetcakeZ89 Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 22

Hi guys,

Newbie to the site here so I apologize if this question as been asked several times!

I have a few questions!

I have to make a 4 tier cake.. No fondant to cover cake, or buttercream to frost. I am making WHIPPED white chocolate ganache because I need it to be WHITE, and I feel like that is the only way I can get my frosting white. 

1. Is their another way for me to make the frosting white without whipping it? 

2. Will my whipped frosting set like regular ganache and will it hold to stacking?? 

3. What would be the best way to stack whipped ganache cakes? Wooden dowels, plastic pillars? The dowels of course have to be hidden. I have my recipes and everything together, and I do not plan to set it up before transport. I just want to know that I can make whipped frosting and it'll set like buttercream. I want it to have the soft bite when you eat a piece of the cake... 

Any advice will help!!

Thank you!

21 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 22

Have you not made the whipped ganache before?

SweetcakeZ89 Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 22

I have and its really yummy. I loved it. I'm just wondering how it will work with stacking..etc

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 22

Buttercream made with shortening (Sweetex, Alpine, for example) are white.

Best method for stacking?  SPS of course!

SweetcakeZ89 Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 22

I don't like shortening. I am also trying to change from using buttercream.

Also, what is SPS? Lol..sorry, not familiar with cake decorating lingo. lol

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 22

I will let leah_s explain the system because she uses it all of the time.  As far as the whipped white chocolate ganache goes - have you actually tried making it and gotten good results? And if you have gotten good results and/or  are aware of some of the pitfalls people have had with it sometimes regarding overwhipping etc and how it can be in the heat and you still are ok with it - why not do an experiment?  Make a couple of small cakes and ice and stack using whatever system you plan to use. I would suggest using parchment squares or rounds under the plate or board that will sit on top of the lower tiers of the cake - regardless of which system you use.

This is really the only way to go to ensure that you know what to expect when you actually do the big cake. Sometimes we end up having to sacrifice taste preferences or colour preferences to get a cake that actually will work but it is always good to do a trial run.

SweetcakeZ89 Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 22

Yeah, I've made it before and loved the fluffy-ness. I am making an 8' round 2 layer cake and have the frosting on hand to practice with that tonight. I'm just wondering if anyone had the experience of using whipped ganache frosting with a layered, stacked cake. =)

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 12:08am
post #8 of 22

Yes, since nobody responded regarding having used this icing for a stacked cake that is why I would make an additional cake and stack it to see. Like a two layer 6 inch. For a trial cake you could just board the 6 inch and use straws or wooden dowels and parchment under the boarded 6 inch cake to see the results.

For me when I try something new, I do a small test run so I don't get any surprises on the big day.

Normally if a cake is supported properly, most icings can be used.  Best of luck.

SweetcakeZ89 Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 12:17am
post #9 of 22

Okay. I already have the cake ready. I will do the parchment paper thing.. for both layers? Or just the bottom? And ice it! See how it goes! Thank you

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 1:02am
post #10 of 22

Well, board the iced upper layer tier of cake. Put straws in the lower  iced boarded cake as support, cut at the height of that iced cake. Put the parchment circle on top and then the top tier boarded cake. Let them sit - for a test I would let them sit overnight. Not sure if this whipped white ganache can sit out without being refrigerated? Normally dark chocolate ganache can but this whipped white ganache is different. I have only used white chocolate ganache as a filling and I remember it could be tricky.

The reason for the parchment is to ensure that the board of the upper tiered cake doesn't stick to the icing on the top of the lower tiered cake.

When you actually do the real cake for a four tiered cake, you will need a good support system using either the SPS or a heavy cake drum, stand or plateau as your base and each cake will need to be well boarded and supported.

Are these cakes also going to be filled?

SweetcakeZ89 Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 1:11am
post #11 of 22

No, the cakes won't be filled. Just frosted and stacked. Really simple actually. My only thing that had me concerned was the texture of the frosting and thw durability of the stacking. I've only ever stacked 2 tiered cakes so this'll be my first 4tier. 

For my 2 tier.. I used the cardboard, then placed two dowels in the first cake.. placed my other cake with the cardboard on top and one wooden dowel through the middle to secure it. 

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 4:09am
post #12 of 22

Two dowels is not enough! That's like trying to balance the top cake on a narrow wall...

There are plenty of sites listing the number of dowels per tier depending on their diameter - but I would generally use four to five minimum per tier - and a lot more in a large tier!

SweetcakeZ89 Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 4:57am
post #13 of 22

It was just an 8'' round and 6'' round. I didn't have any problems with the stability. I would use more for this cake because it's 4 tiers. I was even thinking of using the SpS after googling it. 

SweetcakeZ89 Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 5:00am
post #14 of 22

And I've always thought about using more, just felt weird to put that many sticks into the cake. Lol

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 6:06am
post #15 of 22

It depends if you want the cake to stay up. Imagine resting a book on two chopsticks standing on end on a table - will it be stable? Of course not! Try three sticks....it's more stable....and more again is greater stability (within reason!) It's about simple physics - you're distributing the weight of the upper cake over a number of evenly placed supports. Are you more stable in platform shoes or stilettos??

SweetcakeZ89 Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 6:37am
post #16 of 22

Good point. Thanks for the advice! =)

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 12:53pm
post #17 of 22

Winniemog is right. The size and weight of the cakes and how many tiers help determine your support structure. If you do not go with the SPS, then what you use as the base that all of the tiers sit on becomes a very important part of the support structure.

Post back the results of your experiment with two tiers with this icing.

SweetcakeZ89 Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 1:05pm
post #18 of 22

Okay, thanks for the advice guys! I will order SPS on amazon. I will try them out as soon as they come in the mail!

leah_s Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 6:10pm
post #19 of 22

Wait?  Amazon sells SPS?  This is not a generic term - its a brand name of the support system by Bakery Crafts.  I always recommend Oasis Supply.

leah_s Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 6:12pm
post #20 of 22

Well, butter my biscuit!  There it is on Amazon!!

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 8:58pm
post #21 of 22

Still not in the UK, though :-(

SweetcakeZ89 Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 10:21pm
post #22 of 22

Lol. Yeah, they do. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%