Crown For A Gumpaste Figure

Decorating By Cherry123 Updated 24 Jul 2015 , 9:48pm by Tauchy

Cherry123 Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 9:27am
post #1 of 7

Hi!

I'm making a cake for my 2 year old nephew and his mom wants me to make this topper. 

Does anybody know how can I make this crown and emboss the design? May be any kind of mold? 

55ab6d6d1d392.jpeg

6 replies
Tauchy Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 10:09am
post #2 of 7

Hi Cherry,

You can achieve this shape using the crown patchwork cutter, however, where you don't have this, you can make do with everyday items you find at home. i hope you can draw. You simply measure the circumference o the circle and draw same pattern or any pattern of your choice on paper. you cut out your pattern and place on your rolled out mexican paste. the shape is embossed on the mexican paste and you can use you knife tool to cut it out.

you can also use a variety of patterned mats and create a variety of designs. you paint your mexican paste with gold dust and pick up you cut out shape and form a circle with it. use little water or edible glue to join the edges where the circle meet. there you have your crown.

Claire138 Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 10:45am
post #3 of 7

You can also look for a crown template online, print it off and use that as your mold. Cover it with cellophane or wax paper, then cut out the shape and leave it to dry over a can or something like that and voila!

Cherry123 Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you! I understand how to make a crown itself. But how to emboss the design is still not clear. 

Tauchy, I've never used Mexican paste. Do you think it will work better than gumpaste/fondant mix? 

Tauchy Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 7

gum paste and mexian paste are in the same category because it can be used for molding and dries out fast. It usually contains tylose, tragacanth or CMC. Fondant mix is the rolled fondant usually used for covering the cake. many times we mix up the names of the various types of fondant.

Embossing the design will depend n whether you have the pattern or not. You will likely need to improvise.

Cherry123 Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 4:57am
post #6 of 7

Do you think I can do it free hand using a gumpaste tool? 

Tauchy Posted 24 Jul 2015 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 7

Sorry I didn't come back here, but i hope got around with making the crown the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%