Dartboard Cake - Advice Please!

Decorating By Tinkybells Updated 19 Jul 2015 , 8:16am by winniemog

Tinkybells Posted 18 Jul 2015 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 4

I'm absolutely NEW to cake decorating and I urgently need some help/advice from the experts! :)

It's my dad's 60th birthday next week and at this late stage I've had the best idea of what would be the perfect cake for him, and I really want to make it happen but not entirely sure where to begin.

He is a huge darts fan and I had the idea to make him a dartboard cake (with a dart in treble 20!) but I just need someone with more expertise to lay out exactly what I need to do.

What I THINK I need to do is:

• Cover a flat cake in black fondant (I've seen Renshaw Sugarpaste ready to roll icing available in cake decorating shops, I assume this is good).
  • Have some sort of template at hand of a dartboard, and cut out the required green, red and beige shapes required.
  • Piece them together and lay them on top of the flat black already-iced cake.
  • Ice the scoring numbers in silver icing.

And the equipment I THINK I will need is:

• Cake tins
  • Roller
  • Cutting equipment
  • Icing equipment

Am I thinking along the right lines?  Am I missing anything completely essential/obvious?

ANY advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks so much for your time! :)

3 replies
remnant3333 Posted 18 Jul 2015 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 4

I have never used fondant but have done a buttercream transfer before. It was not of a dart board, but I am sure you can pretty much do any kind of thing with them. You tube will tell you exactly how to do them. Type in buttercream transfer on youtube. They are pretty easy for beginners. 

If you want fondant, the experts here can tell you exactly what you need to do. Good luck, I am sure everything will turn out fine!!

Tinkybells Posted 18 Jul 2015 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much, I've had a look at that method and it looks great, I'm going to try it!! :)

winniemog Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 8:16am
post #4 of 4

Black fondant can be tricky to work with - definitely use pre-coloured fondant, and try using a little cooking spray/crisco to stop it sticking to your work surface. It does tear more easily than other fondants too so I would suggest rounding the top edge of your cake - sharp edges are tricky for beginners.

For the dartboard pieces, add a little tylose/CMC to your fondant to firm it up enough to hold its shape when you transfer the pieces to the cake otherwise they will stretch and not fit together well. Also, place the pieces on a cake card or tray when moving them to maintain their shape.

A pizza wheel is easier to cut out the pieces with your template too - less drag than a knife.

Good luck! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%