Design Opinions Wanted

Decorating By kshoe1 Updated 19 Jul 2015 , 4:40pm by kshoe1

kshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kshoe1 Posted 18 Jul 2015 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 4

I am preparing a 3 layer 12" cake for a party and am considering a royal icing cage on top using a henna design.  All of the pics I see online are smaller cakes and I'm wondering two things.  Is it more likely to break with a 14" diameter, and/or do any of you think it's just too much for a cake that size?  Do you think my cake is going to end up looking like a child beauty pageant?  

3 replies
810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 7:47am
post #2 of 4

I'm not sure what you mean by putting a 14" henna design on top of a 12" cake, could you post a picture of the design you are thinking of doing.  If done well henna designs are lovely and elegant not child like at all???

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 8:49am
post #3 of 4

Well. ....I would be terrified to be honest. The biggest royal icing object I've done was a 12" Eifel tower and in that case I made lots of extra pieces and assembled them after they were dry. Not much broke but when some broke it was when I lifted/ released them from the wax paper. I guess that is the risk with the cage. 

On the other hand you can start well head of time to not be under pressure.

kshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kshoe1 Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 4

thank you for your response.  I always have plan B so no worries.  I made up my mind to do a "tiara" but against a 14" mold using some design I can find online or wherever.  Even a real lace pattern or embroidery pattern might work.  It's possible I can find a henna design at Michaels or somewhere and there will be something appropriate.  I do chocolate wraps all the time, along with chocolate lace wraps.  I was looking for something different and maybe more 1950's 1960's for a 50th wedding anniversary.

I think in the end putting all that "lace" covering the top of a 12" cake is just too much, even if I could get it to work. 

if it works and I can post a picture I will send it back.  If not, well... you know it didn't work. I will have to rely on flower work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%