Design Opinions Wanted

Decorating By kshoe1 Updated 19 Jul 2015 , 4:40pm by kshoe1

kshoe1 Posted 18 Jul 2015 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 4

I am preparing a 3 layer 12" cake for a party and am considering a royal icing cage on top using a henna design.  All of the pics I see online are smaller cakes and I'm wondering two things.  Is it more likely to break with a 14" diameter, and/or do any of you think it's just too much for a cake that size?  Do you think my cake is going to end up looking like a child beauty pageant?  

3 replies
810whitechoc Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 7:47am
post #2 of 4

I'm not sure what you mean by putting a 14" henna design on top of a 12" cake, could you post a picture of the design you are thinking of doing.  If done well henna designs are lovely and elegant not child like at all???

julia1812 Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 8:49am
post #3 of 4

Well. ....I would be terrified to be honest. The biggest royal icing object I've done was a 12" Eifel tower and in that case I made lots of extra pieces and assembled them after they were dry. Not much broke but when some broke it was when I lifted/ released them from the wax paper. I guess that is the risk with the cage. 

On the other hand you can start well head of time to not be under pressure.

kshoe1 Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 4

thank you for your response.  I always have plan B so no worries.  I made up my mind to do a "tiara" but against a 14" mold using some design I can find online or wherever.  Even a real lace pattern or embroidery pattern might work.  It's possible I can find a henna design at Michaels or somewhere and there will be something appropriate.  I do chocolate wraps all the time, along with chocolate lace wraps.  I was looking for something different and maybe more 1950's 1960's for a 50th wedding anniversary.

I think in the end putting all that "lace" covering the top of a 12" cake is just too much, even if I could get it to work. 

if it works and I can post a picture I will send it back.  If not, well... you know it didn't work. I will have to rely on flower work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%