What Is Based For Draping?

Decorating By craftybanana2 Updated 20 Jul 2015 , 1:32am by craftybanana2

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 11

Great, a "null" post. Well, I'll try again then. I meant for the title to say "What is Best for draping?" not based. Anywho, I'm going to attempt a small sculpted cake which has the figure wearing a hooded cloak. I was thinking about doing it in mmf, but I've never worked with either mmf or fondant. This is just an experiment for a friend of mine who loves a Final Fantasy (game) character called "Tonberry." It looks like this:

41K6AQrT8sL.jpg

Any suggestions? I was going to use my 4" cookie cutter to cut rounds out and stack them together and then do a cake pop for the head with the stick going down through the body. Should I treat mmf like clay and mold the cloak on, or roll it into a flat piece and stick it on like fabric on a doll?

10 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 18 Jul 2015 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 11

I would treat it like fabric and roll out a front and back and pinch the sides together, dampening where the seams meet.

In my experience with marshmallow fondant   - I find it tends to not hold its shape well in an application like this where it would be just hanging down.  So I would likely use regular fondant or add a bit of tylose or Gumtex or mix in about 1/3 gumpaste to 2/3 marshmallow fondant.  But I should mention that the recipe for marshmallow fondant that I used in the past was the one from the Wilton site from about 2002 usually referred to as "Bunnywoman's Marshmallow Fondant". I don't know what recipe or product people are using now for marshmallow fondant.

Nowadays  I tend to just mix some powdered sugar with a jar of Marshmallow Fluff in a bowl. I grease my fingers with Crisco and knead it until it is stretchy. I then add tylose or Gumtex or 1/3 Gumpaste so that it will hold its shape.

If it is going to be eaten, I would just use regular rolled fondant.

craftybanana2 Posted 18 Jul 2015 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 11

@SquirrellyCakes  Thank you! I bought a small packet of Wilton fondant to play with tonight. They didn't have brown or yellow though, so when I get the feel for it, I'll get some white and dye it.

I love how you use powdered sugar and marshmallow fluff! I did look for gumpaste and tylose at Wallyworld but the don't seem to carry what I need when I need it, oh well I got me a new cookie cutter and some fondant to play with! I want to open up a craft store just so people don't have to go there, but our little town seems to love wallyworld and hate it's competition.

Since the little guy is green, I'll prob use him to experiment with an avocado tea cake or maybe just dye a white cake green, ha ha. I'll post a picture, good or bad, or aweful, just to show I tried (and make all those people who see these gorgeous cakes on here feel better).

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 3:31am
post #4 of 11

You are so funny. What you can buy at Wallyworld that contains the same ingredient as Tylose and is food safe although you wouldn't want to eat anything made with it or tylose - is Fixodent denture adhesive powder. Has to be the powder. If you add some to your fondant it will harden it up like gumpaste. About 10 years ago or so it was hard to find tylose. At a cake decorating convention, sewsweet2 a well known decorator shared this info. Works well.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 3:38am
post #5 of 11

I made this Olaf with marshmallow fondant and Fixodent powder.55ab1ba21fac5.jpeg

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 11

cornstarch works great and of course is fully edible

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 11

and i thought you were doing a little 'southern' talk "what's based for draping?" hahahaha

craftybanana2 Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 11

@-K8memphis 

I live to far south for that southern drawl, ha ha. I will try cornstarch too, I am intrigued by the Fixadent powder though. I just got asked to do a cake for church on Sunday, so will be working on this thing and practicing flowers like crazy as well. I told them to be aware though that my cakes taste better than they look as I don't know how to decorate much. I can pipe a squiggly border and do that rustic look is what happens when I try to smooth buttercream, ha ha. We'll see what I can get done during the kiddo's nap times this week!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 11

Cornstarch will dry the fondant but it doesn't harden up the fondant and actually may cause crinkling or cracking, depending on the amount being used. So I guess it depends on how it interacts for the results you want. Not sure what action -k8memphis is recommending it for?

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2015 , 10:53pm
post #10 of 11

thanks for the heads up, squirrellycakes -- I meant it for the figurine not for draping sorry for the confusion -- in my experience it does dry out beautifully for plaques, blossoms, petals, bows, figurines etc. I've never had it crack

And i've never used cornstarch in fondant for a cake covering

CRAFTY, don't use it for your draping -- I was thinking of the Olaf-- sorry

craftybanana2 Posted 20 Jul 2015 , 1:32am
post #11 of 11

Thank you both again. I'll nix the cornstarch idea then. I'll look for that fixadent stuff when I go back to Wallyworld. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%