Royal Icing For People With Egg Allergies

Decorating By pilotbaby Updated 17 Jul 2015 , 7:34pm by SquirrellyCakes

pilotbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilotbaby Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 5

Hello,

We had some new friends over today and had decorated sugar cookies for everyone to take home.  One of the moms mentioned her daughter couldn't eat them because of the meringue powder.  Is there a good recipe for royal icing that doesn't use any egg products?  TIA

4 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 5

I buy a soy based royal icing mix here in Canada at the Bulk Barn. I use it at Christmas for my gingerbread house but it is in stock year round - at least it is at my local store.. I think the brand is Virgin Ice but I don't have any right now to check the name. I would guess other stores carry other brands but this works very well. All you add is water. To ice cookies for flood work, you would need to thin with more water. The product tastes like royal icing made with eggs and is very good.

CK may make a version but I am not sure. You might also try a Google search for "Vegan Royal Icing Mix".

Here is a vegan recipe for a Royal Icing.

1 cup powdered sugar

2 teaspoons of milk substitute like rice milk or water

2 teaspoons light corn syrup

1/4 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract

Mix powdered sugar and milk/water until smooth. Add extract and corn syrup mixing until smooth. Add more corn syrup if needed. Divide into bowls and colour.

I haven't made this recipe, I found it at "Vegans Have Super Powers" blog where there are a few other recipes also. 

Hope that helps.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 5

I've used a really thick glaze before, pretty much what SquirrelyCakes posted, that's kinda what I use when I'm too lazy to make royal icing (which is a pain cause of the whites, ha ha). There is someone on here who has a portfolio of BEAUTIFUL decorated glaze cookies. I just can't remember her name right now.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 5

I forgot to add that if you use a glaze, add white food coloring as it's very pale (and kinda see through) with out it. :)

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 5

Another option is a crusting buttercream. I used to use it for people that don't like royal icing. It is more limiting as to the fact you actually pipe on the decorations. Storage of cookies has to be done in single layers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%