Wedding Figures Wont Sit...

Decorating By lickle_red Updated 17 Jul 2015 , 2:06pm by lickle_red

lickle_red Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lickle_red Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 9:32am
post #1 of 5

Hi there, I'm new on here and very desperate! I have someone coming to pick their wedding cake up in a few hours and there's a problem with fixing the Bride and Groom onto the cake. The Bride-to-be gave me the figures she had specially made that were to sit, legs daggling off the top tier. I have baked and iced the cake but my corners are curved, the problem is the legs aren't! there is a gap and the "bottoms" of the figures aren't very big so there's not much of them resting on the cake. They are rock solid too so there's no way I can place a dowel or toothpick to secure them. This is my first ever wedding cake and its for someone high up in the company I work at - double whammy of pressure! Could someone please help?  - Many Thanks! 

4 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 9:50am
post #2 of 5

Yikes....that sucks. The pressure is on it seems.

I guess you didn't put the cake in the fridge, that makes it difficult to achieve sharp corners. But now it's too late anyway, guess the cake is stacked and ready for collection. ..

Is there any other decoration on the cake? You could use the same theme to cover up the gap, f.e. a leaf or penal placed on the round corner before placing the topper on...or a piped buttercream boarder....or or or. But make sure it blends in with the theme and doesn't draw even more attention to the unwanted spot. 

If it's a rather plain cake, I would glue the couple onto the fondant with edible glue and just leave the gap. If you look at the way you bend the legs, it looks like a perfect 90' degree angle...and if you sit on a edge which is round then you will naturally see a gap.

Hope you will be able to please you and the bride!

sykescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sykescakes Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 11:43am
post #3 of 5

A photo would help with giving you options....

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 11:50am
post #4 of 5

Yes, I would put a reasonable dab of royal icing under them and prop them up until it sets.  It should hold them in place, but make sure to warn who-ever is transporting the cake to be extra careful of them.

lickle_red Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lickle_red Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 5

Awww you've all been so lovely! Your comments were great, I set straight to putting something under them that I could mould to the cake and to them, and secured it all with Royal Icing. I did a white fondant pillow large enough for them both and to give them some weight on the back so they wouldn't topple forwards :) Now fingers crossed it all sets and the lady likes it :)

Yes Julia you're right I need to leave my cakes in the fridge for longer for the buttercream to set but I'm always so eager! I definitely learnt something from this. Thank you everyone! :)

Awww you've all been so lovely! I read your reply's and they were great, I set straight to putting something under them that I could mould to the cake and them and secured it all with Royal icing to .
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/823653/wedding-figures-wont-sit#RIVk1k05Jacro3oB.99
Awww you've all been so lovely! I read your reply's and they were great, I set straight to putting something under them that I could mould to the cake and them and secured it all with Royal icing to .
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/823653/wedding-figures-wont-sit#RIVk1k05Jacro3oB.99

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%