Outdoor Festival (Show) How-To's

Business By SandraDee73 Updated 15 Jul 2015 , 5:58pm by SandraDee73

SandraDee73 Posted 15 Jul 2015 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 4

I've tried searching through the threads and it's so difficult to find what I'm looking for, so I apologize in advance if this topic was already discussed in depth, which I'm sure it has. 

I was contacted yesterday about doing an outdoor festival to showcase my business. It's 3 1/2 weeks from today. I've never done a booth before. It will cost me $150 and I have 3 cakes (not related to the festival) to do between now and then (one being delivered the evening of the show). I'm a home based small business and it's just me (and my husband to lend a hand).

1) What do I bring to these things? Cupcakes? Cakes? Decorated dummies?

2) How many flavors should I bring? If I'm bringing cupcakes do I fill them? How would customers get a feel for combinations in cakes if I didn't fill? Should I ice them with Buttercream or bettercream?

3) I imagine it will be VERY warm, so how do I keep everything from melting? Lots of coolers?

4) I have no idea how many people will be going through so how on earth would I estimate how much I should bring?

5) Do I offer individual boxes for take-aways or use plates/napkins? 

And I know I'm going to be mad busy if I decide to do this (I work full time and this is just a side business at the moment), but one thing that makes me want to go for it...no competition. 

Any advice or past experience recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
SandraDee73 Posted 15 Jul 2015 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 4

Ok. It's definite. I'm going to do this!

sykescakes Posted 15 Jul 2015 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 4

That's exciting! I am doing my first outdoor festival this weekend. Mine is a 5 hour drive! I'm only doing it because it's a festival in my hometown and my mom signed me up before I could decide lol. I decided to go with cupcakes, that way there is no need for plates and forks. You could have a couple dummy cakes set up to show off some of your decorating skills and then have cupcakes so people can taste some different flavors. Maybe ask around and do a little research to figure out how many people usually attend. Don't forget to bring some business cards to hand out :) Good luck!!

SandraDee73 Posted 15 Jul 2015 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, I'm leaning towards cupcakes as well. I'm wondering how much I should charge for them. I'm doing regular size. Maybe $3/cupcake? I was thinking limit to 4 flavors and fill the cupcakes. I've been reading up on how to freeze them already decorated and might go that route. No idea when I'll have time to decorate the dummies. (yikes!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%