A Little Nervous To Travel With This!

Baking By storestore Updated 16 Jul 2015 , 7:23am by Snowflakebunny23

storestore Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 4

Any advice before I deliver my 2nd wedding cake ever? (My first was 4 tier, fondant 10, 8, 6, 4 with very little 3D decorations and it traveled fine). This cake is FIVE square fondant tiers, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4 with faux silk roses (Thank God!) at every corner, and swag from the top to the bottom in a zig zag motion. How will I even carry this thing? I guess I'll put it together at the venue?  It's an hour and a half drive as I live in a rural area. Any additional thoughts are definitely appreciated. Thanks!

3 replies
storestore Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 4

Also, what thickness of boards should I use?

Magda_MI Posted 15 Jul 2015 , 12:11am
post #3 of 4

If you're worried about being able to lift the cake, and the design allows, consider stacking the top 3 tiers, and the bottom 2, then putting the 2 pieces together after you get there, or even keeping the bottom 2 separate, depending how heavy they feel.

When I had a 16 - 12 - 8 square cake to deliver by myself, I stacked it on site, since I knew I wouldn't be able to safely carry it assembled, as just the 16" tier was awfully heavy at 128 servings all by itself.

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 16 Jul 2015 , 7:23am
post #4 of 4

Unless you are superwoman, carrying that will be exceptionally difficult over a decent walk.  I find 4-tier rounds are a killer!  If you can, I'd do like Magda said and stack the bottom 2 and top 3.  If you have to stack them all, you need someone to help you.  If you are planning to have 2 people holding at each side with no middle support, I would also use a wooden base board rather than a standard cake board.  Maybe ask if the venue has a trolly?  that way you only have to carry in and out of your car.  And, of course, drive like you have an egg on your head ;-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%