A Little Nervous To Travel With This!

Baking By storestore Updated 16 Jul 2015 , 7:23am by Snowflakebunny23

storestore  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
storestore Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 4

Any advice before I deliver my 2nd wedding cake ever? (My first was 4 tier, fondant 10, 8, 6, 4 with very little 3D decorations and it traveled fine). This cake is FIVE square fondant tiers, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4 with faux silk roses (Thank God!) at every corner, and swag from the top to the bottom in a zig zag motion. How will I even carry this thing? I guess I'll put it together at the venue?  It's an hour and a half drive as I live in a rural area. Any additional thoughts are definitely appreciated. Thanks!

3 replies
 storestore  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
storestore Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 4

Also, what thickness of boards should I use?

Magda_MI  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 15 Jul 2015 , 12:11am
post #3 of 4

If you're worried about being able to lift the cake, and the design allows, consider stacking the top 3 tiers, and the bottom 2, then putting the 2 pieces together after you get there, or even keeping the bottom 2 separate, depending how heavy they feel.

When I had a 16 - 12 - 8 square cake to deliver by myself, I stacked it on site, since I knew I wouldn't be able to safely carry it assembled, as just the 16" tier was awfully heavy at 128 servings all by itself.

Snowflakebunny23  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 16 Jul 2015 , 7:23am
post #4 of 4

Unless you are superwoman, carrying that will be exceptionally difficult over a decent walk.  I find 4-tier rounds are a killer!  If you can, I'd do like Magda said and stack the bottom 2 and top 3.  If you have to stack them all, you need someone to help you.  If you are planning to have 2 people holding at each side with no middle support, I would also use a wooden base board rather than a standard cake board.  Maybe ask if the venue has a trolly?  that way you only have to carry in and out of your car.  And, of course, drive like you have an egg on your head ;-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%