Truffle Tip And Apple Roses

Lounge By craftybanana2 Updated 18 Jul 2015 , 4:01am by jgifford

craftybanana2 Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 5

I hope this is the right place to share this:

I found a tip I thought I would share with you truffle makers: us an Ice cream scoop to lightly coat them in chocolate! I saw it on Alton Brown's truffle recipe (and video) and thought it was a neat idea.

I also saw this about making rose apples, then baking them! They look very pretty! Has anyone done this before? I wonder if they are good only fresh out of the oven, would be neat to offer at a market.

4 replies
jgifford Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 5

I can just see myself whipping all those little truffles all over the kitchen. I'd probably use something a bit larger than an ice cream scoop but it sounds like it should work.

Love the apple roses! They're so simple. I think I'm going to try those for dessert at our restaurant and I'll let you know how they turn out. 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for sharing. For the sake of science, I think someone should bake the six apple roses, eat five and save one for the next day to re-heat. 

craftybanana2 Posted 15 Jul 2015 , 12:54am
post #4 of 5

Hm, sounds like a good experiment SquirryCakes. And can't wait to hear if the apples are viable in your restaurant, Jgiffor!

jgifford Posted 18 Jul 2015 , 4:01am
post #5 of 5

55a9cfb0a8782.jpegOk, let's try this again.  Finally got my computer up and running.  I tried the Apple Roses.  I only made a dozen of them and overall I was very pleased.  craftybanana, they hold up very well in or out of the fridge - yay! They didn't go over very well with my customers, who prefer my regular banana pudding or some kind of cake, so my husband was thrilled he got to bring some home.

I followed the recipe exactly.  I would make a couple of changes but for the most part, it's great.  I sprinkled just a touch of brown sugar over the top after they came out of the oven.  They popped right out of the muffin pan - - I had sprayed it very lightly with cooking spray.

They're slightly tart and not very sweet, and they make for a very light dessert.  I think next time I'll use a touch of butter and sprinkle a brown sugar/cinnamon mixture over the apples before folding up the pastry.

I was concerned that the apricot preserves and water would make them soggy on the bottom so before putting them in the fridge, I put a napkin underneath each one but they were fine the next day - - even the one I left out on the counter (covered, of course).  Overall, I think they would be fantastic straight out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

So I'm going to try this photo feature they say is working again.  Here we go . . . . . looks like the photo is going to go first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%