Using Flavoring In Cakes

Baking By gwensmommy11 Updated 14 Jul 2015 , 6:47pm by jchuck

gwensmommy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwensmommy11 Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 4

Hi!  I have a request for a cake that is pineapple for one layer and then strawberry for the other.  The only recipes I have seen for a pineapple cake are perishable at room temperature-the problem here is the cake is buttercream with fondant decor.  I want to avoid the refrigerator at all costs and I live in a very hot climate that would cause condensation quickly upon taking it out of the refrigerator.  I am contemplating using flavoring to achieve the pineapple and strawberry flavors.  

I would get the liquid extract flavoring from my local super market-since I am in a pinch and do not have time to travel and get the oils. (I live in a smaller town with a grocery store and a Super Wal-Mart LOL!)

Does anyone have any experience with these flavors in a cake?  How much would I add?  Are they reliable?

3 replies
dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 4

In my experience these flavors are fine. I would start with the amount called for vanilla and eliminate the vanilla/almond and then add to taste. You can also use flavored liquors in place of water/milk, etc. You should be fine. My MIL loves coconut and I use the flavoring all the time and she loves it. Good Luck!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 4

i would buy pineapple juice and use it in place of water. it has made wonderful tasting cakes for me in the past. and i use real strawberrys blended down in my strawberry cakes in place of water.  never had to refriderate and were delicious. and i know the small town problem i have it too and walmart does sell the cans of 100% pineapple juice. hope this helps.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 4

If yo want concentrated pineapple flavour, buy a large can of pineapple juice, preferably without any added sugar. Or use pineapple juice from canned pineapple. Place in a pot and slowly reduce he volume/liquid by more than half, creating a reduction . It should become thick and sweet. I do this with balsamic vinegar and juices. Adds a rich full flavour to your cake batter and icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%