Ever Heard Of Lamington? Need Recipe Please.

Baking By ibebe Updated 27 Dec 2008 , 1:41am by Parable

ibebe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibebe Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 7

Hi. I'm origanally from Australia and every year at school we had lamington day. All the mothers came in and made lamingtons in the rec hall while us poor children were tormented by the smell and studied.
It's basically a yellow cake cut into squares, dipped in chocolate and rolled in coconut. But everytime I try it it doesn't taste right. I understand that milk, flour and other things taste different in every country but I just feel I don't have the right recipe. Please help.

6 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 7

This is what I found. Hope this helps!!
http://www.aussie-info.com/identity/food/lamington.php

ibebe Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you!

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 7

This is my recipe that I floated on the internet many years ago.

AUSTRALIAN LAMINGTONS
Lamingtons are little sponge cakes coated in chocolate and grated coconut. Any firm type of plain cake can be used: butter-cake, pound-cake, Madeira cake or genoise sponge.
Cake:
4 oz butter
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
Icing:
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
2 (8 ounce) packages dessicated coconut
Note: desiccated coconut is a slightly dried shredded coconut - not sweetened.
Cake:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour a lamington tin, slab-tin or an 8x12 inch rectangular pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and the vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk; beat well. Pour the batter into the 8x12 inch pan. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Store overnight to give the cake a chance to firm up before Icing.
Icing:
In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa. In a saucepan, heat milk and 2 teaspoons butter until the butter is melted. Add the milk to the sugar mixture and mix well to create a fluid, but not too runny, Icing.
Procedure:
Cut the cake into 24 squares. Place coconut in a shallow container. Using a fork, dip each square into the icing, then roll it in the coconut. Place onto rack to dry. Continue for each piece. The Icing will drip, so place on a wire rack on a sheet of parchment paper to catch the drips.

ibebe Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 1:15am
post #5 of 7

Great! Thank you

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 7

Boy the things you learn on CC! I've never heard of these before!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 1:41am
post #7 of 7

OK, I am saving this for my aussie SIL! Boy, am I going to surprise her.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%