Cream Cheese Icing

Decorating By sandywiebe Updated 15 Jul 2015 , 12:57am by Jeff_Arnett

sandywiebe Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 1:29am
post #1 of 9

Help! I've gotten so many orders for cream cheese icing on cakes (most being wedding) and my recipe is not stiff enough to stand up, especially in our hot humid weather. How can I just add cream cheese to my regular buttercream recipe so I don't struggle with it so much? My buttercream recipe makes about 7 cups, how much cream cheese should I add to that? TIA

8 replies
costumeczar Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 9

The problem is that there's an artificial "cream cheese" icing that grocery store bakeries use, and people think it's real cream cheese, which is isn't. That's what they're probably thinking when they think of cream cheese, so you might just have to tell them that you can use it for a filling but not on the outside of the cake if your formula doesn't work like that.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 9

The post above should be deleted as it goes against site policy.

I make a cream cheese icing that for my home use, I store cakes iced with it at a room temperature of 70 F. My sister does the same thing and we have done it for 35 years or so with no problems and for up to 5 days. That being said, since I am unable to find a facility here to test it and certify it as safe, I do not use it on cakes for outside the home. Only recently have some cream cheese icings been tested and certified safe at room temperature. It is determined by the fat to sugar ratio.

Wherever you live, whether you make cakes for the cottage food industry or are a licensed bakery, you need to follow food safety rules for your area. Many places do not allow any cream cheese icings, tested or not. You would be taking chances with liability issues. 

Lastly, there is no cream cheese icing that can stand up to extreme heat and humidity.

sandywiebe Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks  squirrellycakes for your reply, I do keep mine in the refrigerator, I was more referring to piping onto a cake and having it put while I'm working on it. The recipe I use doesn't even set up in the fridge, it stays soft I'm there as well. Thank you again. 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 9

It is hard to  work with.  I know -k8memphis was recommending adding cornstarch and others recommended adding more powdered sugar. I didn't find adding more powdered sugar helped and I think you lose the taste. My recipe is 8 ounces of  cream cheese, 1/3 cup butter,2 teaspoons of vanilla and  4 cups of powdered sugar. I wonder if using highratio shortening in place of the butter would help any. Perhaps trying 1/2 the above recipe with it and an additional 1/4 cup cornstarch and highratio shortening in place of butter might work. Or if your recipe makes 7 cups icing, add 8 ounces cream cheese and try about 1/2 cup cornstarch if needed. Might be worth the experiment.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 9

The post I was referring to that should be deleted is from BellarOs4, not costumeczar.

sandywiebe Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks so much for all your help squirrellycakes:)

SquirrellyCakes Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 9

You are very welcome.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 15 Jul 2015 , 12:57am
post #9 of 9

I simply tell customers NO when it comes to cream cheese iced/decorated cakes.  If you want a dessert-style cake that can remain in the cooler no problem.  There are simply some limits to what can (or at least I) be done.

That said, I've used this icing a lot on cupcakes with good reception.

3 sticks butter

1 cup shortening

2 pounds powdered sugar

1/3 cup buttermilk

1/4 cup sour cream

2 teaspoons vanilla

4 ounces cream cheese 

Cream the butter and shortening well.

Add powdered sugar all at once and mix on low speed to combine...mixture will be rough looking.

Add buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla and mix until icing is fairly smooth.

Add cream cheese and blend in well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%