Help Pregnant! Can I Still Decorate?

Decorating By melindymoo Updated 14 Jul 2015 , 11:45pm by littlejewel

melindymoo Posted 12 Jul 2015 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 6

I'm 7 weeks prego today and I'm over the moon about it! I'm just soooo worried that I won't be able to do my job. I have a full time decorating job. I do birthday cakes every day from 7in rounds to full sheets, wedding cakes as well. I'm just worried that my back will hurt like heck and that I won't even be able to reach my cakes! Any advice for me? I can't seem to find anything online. I'm also worried to tell my boss who's male. I'm worried he'll think I can't do it. He's also a major jerk face. Thanks in advance. 

5 replies
Momofsns Posted 12 Jul 2015 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 6

I've had two kids but haven't had to worry about decorating while pregnant. But, I can tell you that you have a while to go before the back aches start. Usually not until the end of second trimester or beginning of third trimester. 

As as far as decorating goes, i imagine that it's like being pregnant and having to reach anything else, like ironing or cleaning counters.  By the time your belly is big enough to get in the way, your mind has already adjusted and your body adjusts naturally.  

During those last several months, standing on your feet all day could be challenging.  invest in some comfortable shoes and maybe a stool.  

Best set of luck and congrats!!

jgifford Posted 12 Jul 2015 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 6

I helped to remodel a house with my first.  Do what you can as long as you can - - just keep moving.  Decorating cakes should be easy-peasy. By the time things get difficult and you start slowing down, you should be. And as long as you're doing your job, jerkface doesn't have anything to say about anything.

Congratulations! 

bubs1stbirthday Posted 13 Jul 2015 , 3:48am
post #4 of 6

There's no cut and dried answer to your question, if you are like me you will be so sick that by the time you are 13 weeks pregnant you will pass out at work and have both your doctor and your boss tell you it's time to call it quits while you ball about the fact that you planned to work until you were ready to pop (lol) and then spend the rest of your pregnancy never going far from a toilet (or carrying sick bags with you - ick ick) and never standing in a line for more than a few minutes without needing to sit down or fall down 

or on the other hand you may be so bright and bouncy during your pregnancy and work right until the last few months as many people seem to be fine doing without any major problems at all.

I wouldn't worry about it too much at the moment and there is no need to tell your boss yet unless it is affecting your work or if there is a workplace reason that he needs to know. I am not sure where you are located but in Aus your boss can't fire you just because you are pregnant. 

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope it all goes well for you :-)

Pastrybaglady Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with bubs, every pregnancy is different.  If you have the really nauseous and tired kind working around food will be very challenging.  Some are still fully active to the very end. My sister in law was still playing volleyball and scrubbing the floor on her hands and knees in her 8th and 9th months - I  think she was trying to make the baby come faster with vigorous activity!  You don't know until you know - congratulations!

littlejewel Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with bubs and pastrybag. I was very active, but I did need to take breaks to sit during the last trimester.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%