Combining Buttercreams

Decorating By Momofsns Updated 13 Jul 2015 , 4:15pm by costumeczar

Momofsns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofsns Posted 12 Jul 2015 , 6:47am
post #1 of 7

Hi all,  

I'm new to baking.  I know this site has lots of knowledgeable bakers and I'm hoping for help!!

i would like to know if it is ok to use IMBC to fill a cake and then use crusting buttercream to ice it.

it probably sounds like a silly question, but I'm not sure if the combo of those two buttercreams tastes good.  I'd like to ice the cake with crusting buttercream because I want to make it as smooth as possible underneath the fondant.  TIA!!

6 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 12 Jul 2015 , 8:28am
post #2 of 7

You could do it but when meringue buttercreams are so beautifully silky it would seem a pity to ruin it (IMO) with a crusting American Buttercream style icing.

Personally I fill my cakes with SMBC and ice with Ganache, both have such a lovely texture that they compliment one another perfectly.

Momofsns Posted 12 Jul 2015 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 7

Quote by @bubs1stbirthday on 7 hours ago

You could do it but when meringue buttercreams are so beautifully silky it would seem a pity to ruin it (IMO) with a crusting American Buttercream style icing.

Personally I fill my cakes with SMBC and ice with Ganache, both have such a lovely texture that they compliment one another perfectly.

thank you!!  Do you have a good and easy ganache recipe for beginners that i can use as icing under fondant?

bubs1stbirthday Posted 12 Jul 2015 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 7

Just any standard ganache recipe (not a pouring ganache). I use a ratio of

1 part cream to 3 parts white chocolate,

1 part cream to 2 1/2 parts milk chocolate or

I combine milk and dark chocolate together and use a ratio of 1 part cream to 2 parts milk/dark chocolate.

I have never made dark chocolate ganache as I don't like dark chocolate very much  but you use that at a 1:2 ratio.

Just look up a few tutorials on how to use/make it and with a bit of practice you will fall in love with it :-) 

bubs1stbirthday Posted 12 Jul 2015 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 7

Just any standard ganache recipe (not a pouring ganache). I use a ratio of

1 part cream to 3 parts white chocolate,

1 part cream to 2 1/2 parts milk chocolate or

I combine milk and dark chocolate together and use a ratio of 1 part cream to 2 parts milk/dark chocolate.

I have never made dark chocolate ganache as I don't like dark chocolate very much  but you use that at a 1:2 ratio.

Just look up a few tutorials on how to use/make it and with a bit of practice you will fall in love with it :-) 

Momofsns Posted 13 Jul 2015 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you bubs1stbirthday!  I really appreciate it!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Jul 2015 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 7

I use meringues on the inside for fillings and the crusting buttercreams on the outside on almost all of my cakes. Most people around here like either one or the other, so that way they don't have to argue about it. And the sweetness of the crusting buttercream kind of tempers the richness of the meringue buttercream and vice-versa.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%