Acrylic Cupcake Stand Weight Capacity

Decorating By HuneyBee Updated 14 Jul 2015 , 4:12pm by HuneyBee

HuneyBee Posted 12 Jul 2015 , 6:00am
post #1 of 6

As you all know, tiered cakes are HEAVY, although i've never weighed one. I have a wedding cake in a couple weeks that is calling for 300 cupcakes and a fondant covered three tiered cake (10",8"6"). The bride has requested the tiered cake to be atop the cupcake stand. She has provided an acrylic 7 tier cupcake stand. My question is, do you think the 3 tier will sit safely on top without breaking the stand? i feel like it would be too heavy. I can find the weight limit on the website it was purchased from. I've not seen a three tier on top of the cupcake stand, i've seen a small two tier. Has anyone does this successfully? 

5 replies
CWR41 Posted 12 Jul 2015 , 7:04am
post #2 of 6

Quote by @HuneyBee on 42 minutes ago

I can find the weight limit on the website it was purchased from.

What's the limit?  If it helps, your cake with BC (not including fondant) will probably weigh 13.8 or fewer pounds as long as it's not a dense recipe like carrot cake.

HuneyBee Posted 12 Jul 2015 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 6

sorry, i meant i can't find the limit. 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Jul 2015 , 12:24am
post #4 of 6

Add to that about 5 pounds of fondant to cover the cakes. So the cake will weigh close to 20 pounds. Not all stands are created equal.  It does sound like a lot of weight. It must be larger than the 7 tier stands I saw as the top plate would be way too small to even fit the 10 inch bottom cake of the three tier.

Corikiky Posted 13 Jul 2015 , 2:44am
post #5 of 6

can you post a pic of the stand? 

HuneyBee Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 6

i'm trying to attach a photo but its not allowing me, idk why. it is a 7 tier cupcakes stand with a clear support poles that attaches in the center between each tier. there is a 10" round plate third from the top, this is where she wants me to place the three tier stacked cake. the cupcakes will be on the tiers below. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%