Edible Twigs/sticks For Rustic Cake

Decorating By KellyKSD Updated 11 Jul 2015 , 6:08pm by KellyKSD

KellyKSD Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 6

Hello, all --

My sister's wedding is in October, and I'm making her cake.

She wants a rustic cake, with twigs/sticks attached similar to the one on the cake below (found via Google images, baker unknown). Anyone have experience with something like this? I want to make them completely edible, if possible, but any "twig" molds I find for fondant or chocolate all seem much too thick instead of these delicate twigs. Obviously really don't want to be THAT baker who sticks real twigs from the yard in the cake! I thought of floral wire covered with food-safe tape and then with modeling chocolate (of course not edible, but safe to stick in cake, yes?) and I searched several sugar art sites to see if there was something I could buy....perhaps I'm just not searching well. Any advice is appreciated.

Vintage-Rustic-Wedding-Cake.jpg

5 replies
blueangel174 Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 6

I can do some searching but off the top of my head you could use real sticks but rinse them off, let them dry than stick them in cut straws, fill the straws with frosting or royal icing, let them harden and then stick them into the cake so the straws are just below the surface.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 6

Pipe them freehand with melted "chocolate" candy melts. You could make outlines of twigs on parchment and pipe over them. Once dry, flip the twigs and pipe over the other side so they are no longer flat on one side.

blueangel174 Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 6

I came across this post on cake central....found this a few years ago now.. I can't honestly remember where from though, I just saved it with her name - OP - Marysol - and the date of 2006, 

Chocolate Spaghetti Twigs and Branches

4½ cups water
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ounces spaghetti

Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil and coat lightly with vegetable cooking spray. In a small saucepan, whisk 1½ cups of the water together with the cocoa until blended. Cook over medium heat until the cocoa dissolves. Remove from heat and pour into a 10" pie plate
In a medium saucepan, boil the remaining 3 cups water. Add the spaghetti and bring to a second boil. Cook for 3-4 minutes, just to soften the strands. Drain the pasta thoroughly.
Lay the spaghetti in the cocoa water, submerging the strands; allow to steep, stirring occasionally, until the strands turn a dark brown, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 200ºF. Drain the spaghetti in a colander. Arrange the strands between the 2 baking sheets, making sure they do not touch. Dry strands in the oven for 1 hour. Remove and release from foil. Put them back in the oven. Turn off the oven and let the spaghetti dry for 20 minutes. Let cool, then store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one year. If the strands appear dull, spray them lightly with cooking spray just before using.

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/730080/winter-twigs#5q6u2BKRThFxFeUz.99

blueangel174 Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 6

I was also going to try this technique myself but I'm not sure if it would work for branches.

http://daringbakerduluth.blogspot.com/2012/08/brown-sugar-casted-chocolates.html?m=1

KellyKSD Posted 11 Jul 2015 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for your quick and helpful replies!!

Squirrellycakes - I thought of the candy melts, too -- thought they might be a bit too breakable, but actually in the picture my sister sent me (can't find it now, of course) the twigs are shorter so this might be the way I go...

BlueAngel - the spaghetti idea is cool.....I'm intrigued! And I guess the real sticks suggestion is really no different that putting real flowers on a cake.....not sure why it seemed so out of the question for me to use real sticks. Perhaps I've seen too many cakes with improperly-place foliage, a la Cake Wrecks! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%