Ribbon Getting Greasy

Decorating By BoozeBabe Updated 13 Jul 2015 , 3:50pm by TheresaCarol

BoozeBabe Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 4:05am
post #1 of 8

Anyone know of a way to keep ribbon from getting greasy and discolored?  I'd prefer to not use it but client insists.

7 replies
suzied Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 6:59am
post #2 of 8

Someone on CC said to use a strip of parchment paper underneath or double sided adhesive  tape

SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 9:29am
post #3 of 8

The double sided tape will not be food safe so it shouldn't be in contact with anything that will be eaten. A lot of people just grease the whole ribbon so it looks shiny all over.

suzied Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 10:50am
post #4 of 8

Quote by @SquirrellyCakes on 1 hour ago

The double sided tape will not be food safe so it shouldn't be in contact with anything that will be eaten. A lot of people just grease the whole ribbon so it looks shiny all over.

Shouldnt the back of the tape touching the cake be ok, though? (both sides wont be peeled off . only one side be peeled and pasted to the ribbon and the other not peeled) just the plastic will come  in contact.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 8

Well, there is a chance that some of the adhesive at the edges will leech out. I remember when we started recommending the double sided tape this came up as a possible food safety issue. The other issue being that the protective plastic isn't tested for food safety. I know it sounds a bit over the top but liability issues could be costly. There are so many food safety guidelines also.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 8

Well...on the subject of ribbon and not backing it with tape....isn't the ribbon probably just as "not-food-safe" as tape would be?

I skip the ribbon and just do it in fondant, other wise no go!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 Jul 2015 , 11:49pm
post #7 of 8

Well, if the ribbon is fabric that can be washed before use, then it is food-safe but you must wash any material that touches anything edible. Most fabrics including fabric ribbon, contain sizing to help fabrics maintain their shape and it has chemicals in it.

But yes, too bad you cannot duplicate the ribbon in fondant.  If you have a bit of extra ribbon to play with, I wonder if you cut a piece of fondant and sat the ribbon on it for a couple of days how it would go. Fondant isn't greasy unless you grease it. Maybe if you cut a strip the same size as the ribbon, if it would act as a barrier.

TheresaCarol Posted 13 Jul 2015 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 8

You could use a strip of acetate cut the same width as the ribbon and then attach the acetate to the cake.  The acetate acts as a barrier between the ribbon and the cake.  I have done this before and had a good outcome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%