Cream Cheese Advice

Baking By Leannescakez Updated 9 Jul 2015 , 4:14pm by TheresaCarol

Leannescakez Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 12:21pm
post #1 of 8

I'm in the middle of  setting up my cake business and I'm working on recipes etc

I've not worked with cream frosting before and I'm just wondering how you get time to decorate a cake with it in.

it seems that any bit of info i find online states to keep it refrigerated until serving?, 

So what happens when you need to add decorative things to it, or even stack it?

cupcakes with this recipe also confuse me, do you keep them in the fridge until customer collects, but what about toppers on them do they sweat and sag once out etc

I only store a cake in the fridge while it's being frosted so I'm Confused to how this works

thanks for any advice I receive : )

7 replies
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 8

there are some specific recipes that don't have to be refrigerated -- if the recipe you use is not rated this way the n it must be kept refrigerated -- and all of your other questions will be determined by your testing -- what works in my climate and fridges may not work at all in yours kwim so...

i keep all my cakes chilled or frozen all the way through so i don't have any of the recipes -- i think cake boss, the software people have one -- they are listed >>> right over there in featured sponsors --

the big bugaboo with cc icing is don't add any liquid or it will be too soft -- if it's still too soft add cornstarch

Leannescakez Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 8

Aww thankyou, i didnt know some recepies can be kept at Room temp., thats good to know

and thankyou for your other Bit of advice, it will deffo be Trail And error in my Environment Once im Figuring it out 

: ) x

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 8

you're very welcome

Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 8

If you are selling from home you will need to check with your county Health department as cream cheese is usually on their no no list because of the reasons you've stated.  Anything that requires refrigeration doesn't fly under cottage food laws.

TheresaCarol Posted 9 Jul 2015 , 12:07pm
post #6 of 8

K8memphis, how much cornstarch do you add to the cc icing if it gets to soft?  Is there a ratio to follow?  Thanks for your help.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jul 2015 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 8

theresa c -- go by the texture you need -- by what you want in the end result -- for example

i was helping my sweet niece with a cake she was doing and we used store bought icing in the little tubs -- kid you not i had to put about a cup of cs per tub -- that worked good for icing the cake -- it really needed more for the roses but we prevailed -- we only had a small rose tube anyhow -- but use as much you need and no it did not taste funny or anything weird -- all that to say don't be afraid to pour it on if needed

we were in a very dry climate and that would factor in there somehow -- by the time you're finished drying off from a shower your hair was half dry -- california 

as a pro we would get five gallon buckets of icing at our stations and i would add water or cornstarch according to whatever i was doing -- mix and fill my bags as i went along my day -- just adding it to the top section -- stretching it back and forth until i replaced it with another bucket -- we got the cakes already iced so that was typically five gallons piped out 

TheresaCarol Posted 9 Jul 2015 , 4:14pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks K8!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%