Please Help, Can This Be Done In Buttercream?

Decorating By jen9936 Updated 8 Jul 2015 , 5:47pm by Whiteflower1

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 2:37am
post #1 of 6

About a week ago I was asked by a frequent client if I could make a wedding cake for her this weekend. I told her I could do something in a simple design. She just sent me this picture of what she wants, only she would prefer it with buttercream instead of fondant. Is it possible to create a similar look without using fondant? I have done plenty of buttercream ruffles, but they always come out looking more "fat and fluffy". Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

5 replies
jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 2:40am
post #2 of 6

Sorry, didn't get the link in there!

http://pinterest.com/pin/122441683594675271/

Thanks in advance,

Jennifer

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 6:53am
post #3 of 6

Quote by @jen9936 on 4 hours ago

She just sent me this picture of what she wants, only she would prefer it with buttercream instead of fondant.

It IS BC.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 7:18am
post #4 of 6

To me it looks like the cake is frosted in buttercream but the ruffles are done in fondant.  Ruffles can certainly be done in buttercream but it won't have that same petal lightness of fondant, which is what make that cake so pretty. Can you show your client pictures of what buttercream ruffles will look like?  Then at least her expectations will be realistic.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 6

if you flatten the rose tube you can get a nice thin ruffle -- of course you want a very large rose tube

Whiteflower1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Whiteflower1 Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 6

It can be done in buttercream, but i agree that the ruffles will be thicker. Do a small test on a mini cake and text a photo to your client to make sure they know exactly what theynwould be getting. Good luck!

marianne

white flower cake shoppe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%