Help! Dry Cake :(

Baking By Natalie_S Updated 8 Jul 2015 , 7:09am by Pastrybaglady

Natalie_S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natalie_S Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 1:03am
post #1 of 5

Yesterday I baked two 10-inch rounds, wrapped and froze them (vanilla cake...new recipe).  They baked up nicely and evenly, and took 40-45 minutes at 325 F.  I had left over batter, so I set it aside in a small 8 inch round and refrigerated it while the 10-inch rounds baked.  Then I baked the leftover batter.  We ate some of the "leftover" cake yesterday and it was ever so slightly dry, although it had lovely flavour.  My questions are:  Will my 10-inch rounds be dry too, even though they were baked separately?  Does the dryness come from the bake time or the consistency/quality of the batter?  Is there a way to tell if the 10-inch rounds will be dry also without cutting into them?  I don't want to serve dry cake!!! 

4 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 2:19am
post #2 of 5

It could be a different texture because you refrigerated the leftover batter.  Room temperature is usually recommended.  Did the pan go directly from the fridge to the oven?

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 2:51am
post #3 of 5

You'll find that freezing usually increases the moistness of your cakes.  Sounds weird but it's usually the case.  If you're still concerned, before icing your layers, brush them with a simple syrup and you shouldn't have any problem with dryness.

Natalie_S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natalie_S Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 3:37am
post #4 of 5

Yes, the 8 inch pan went directly from fridge to oven.  I may have over-baked slightly as well...when I tested with a toothpick, there was not a crumb stuck to it at all!  The 10-inch cakes were still wet when I first tested, so I left them and checked twice more till they were done.  I don't think they were over baked, but the tops were definitely browner than the smaller, dry cake, probably because they were baking longer.  I will try the simple syrup for sure!  Hopefully the combination of freezing and simple syrup will reverse and/or prevent any dryness.  Thanks for the tips!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 7:09am
post #5 of 5

Your 10" cakes are most likely fine.  I don't do the simple syrup thing but I guess that would give you insurance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%