Help! Dry Cake :(

Baking By Natalie_S Updated 8 Jul 2015 , 7:09am by Pastrybaglady

Natalie_S Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 1:03am
post #1 of 5

Yesterday I baked two 10-inch rounds, wrapped and froze them (vanilla recipe).  They baked up nicely and evenly, and took 40-45 minutes at 325 F.  I had left over batter, so I set it aside in a small 8 inch round and refrigerated it while the 10-inch rounds baked.  Then I baked the leftover batter.  We ate some of the "leftover" cake yesterday and it was ever so slightly dry, although it had lovely flavour.  My questions are:  Will my 10-inch rounds be dry too, even though they were baked separately?  Does the dryness come from the bake time or the consistency/quality of the batter?  Is there a way to tell if the 10-inch rounds will be dry also without cutting into them?  I don't want to serve dry cake!!! 

4 replies
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 2:19am
post #2 of 5

It could be a different texture because you refrigerated the leftover batter.  Room temperature is usually recommended.  Did the pan go directly from the fridge to the oven?

jgifford Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 2:51am
post #3 of 5

You'll find that freezing usually increases the moistness of your cakes.  Sounds weird but it's usually the case.  If you're still concerned, before icing your layers, brush them with a simple syrup and you shouldn't have any problem with dryness.

Natalie_S Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 3:37am
post #4 of 5

Yes, the 8 inch pan went directly from fridge to oven.  I may have over-baked slightly as well...when I tested with a toothpick, there was not a crumb stuck to it at all!  The 10-inch cakes were still wet when I first tested, so I left them and checked twice more till they were done.  I don't think they were over baked, but the tops were definitely browner than the smaller, dry cake, probably because they were baking longer.  I will try the simple syrup for sure!  Hopefully the combination of freezing and simple syrup will reverse and/or prevent any dryness.  Thanks for the tips!

Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 7:09am
post #5 of 5

Your 10" cakes are most likely fine.  I don't do the simple syrup thing but I guess that would give you insurance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%