Help!!! Red Velvet Cake With Rainbow Colours + Black Naked Cream Cheese Frosting??? Is It Possible???

Baking By shlm Updated 9 Jul 2015 , 5:39am by shlm

shlm Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 9

is it possible to do a red velvet cake in rainbow colours? are there any alternatives to making a black cream cheese frosting without tons of cocoa powder? boyfriend's birthday is in 90 days and i'm horrified!!! 

8 replies
Pastrybaglady Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 9

Black cream cheese... that's a new one.  The alternative is tons of black food color that will stain everyone's teeth - not a great look unless there's a zombie theme or something.

Pastrybaglady Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 9

Yes, it's possible to make velvet cakes in any color, but you would probably want to leave the cocoa out to get truer colors.

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 9

Isn't the whole point of red velvet that it is, well, red?  :-s

Apti Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 9

Make the frosting (not the RV cake) in rainbow colors.

Use black as an accessory/trim/decorations frosting, not all black frosting.  Example:  Black roses, leaves, writing, ruffles, borders.

bakernoob Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 9

I've make velevet cakes in all kinds of colors so yes you can definitely make it a rainbow inside. The cream cheese frosting might change flavor though with all that black food coloring. 

mccantsbakes Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 7:11am
post #7 of 9

How about a black velvet cake with rainbow colored icing as filling?  

Here is a recipe I found for black velvet (although I am sure any red velvet recipe could easily be adapted to suit whatever color you wish)

http://iambaker.net/black-velvet-cake/

may I heed one small warning regarding heavily colored cakes....you may want to warn the consumers of said dyed cake that their potty color *may* be altered significantly from the dye in the cake. (I get that it isn't exactly the best thing to lead with when talking up your cake)   I only say this because I once made blue velvet, and I had a small panic attack the following day while changing my lil ones diaper when it revealed a very vibrantly colored, smelly suprise.   I had totally forgotten that kiddo ate a piece of blue velvet cake...now I know to not be alarmed.

pastrypet Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 9

It works better for dark colors to airbrush the buttercream. Then you don't have to add tons of food color that will stain everyone's teeth and tongue and .....

shlm Posted 9 Jul 2015 , 5:39am
post #9 of 9

thanks for the prompt reply everyone :) is it also possible to do whiskey cream cheese? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%