Pastry Pride

Decorating By sparkledee3 Updated 8 Jul 2015 , 4:27pm by sparkledee3

sparkledee3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkledee3 Posted 5 Jul 2015 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 12

Can Pastry Pride be used for piping on a ruffle border and if so, will I need to add anything to it to stabilize it? Also wondering how it tastes - any greasy film on your lips?

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Jul 2015 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 12

It has been more than 10 years since I have used it but back then the answer to your ? would be NO.  It is too soft and will not hold it's shape.   BUT......... Frostin' Pride is great for piping.

As you can guess from the name Frostin' Pride is made by the same people and is made for icing and decorating cakes whereas Pastry Pride is not.

sparkledee3 Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks @kakelady! I saw the Frostin' Pride next to the Pastry Pride but wasn't sure about the taste of either. This will be the first time using either one. I really messed up the first batch using the recipe I saw posted somewhere on this site. I added the 3 Tablespoons of hot water to the 3 oz Jello Instant Pudding (choc) but it stayed in little clumps in the Pastry Pride. I was afraid to add too much water to it, but I obviously didn't thin it out enough.

Wondering what you would recommend for a tasty frosting that I can also pipe into a ruffle border. This is all new to me and I'm trying out new things this week. Thans for your help! 

kakeladi Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 12:33am
post #4 of 12

Some 90% of my work was done in b'cream.  One of the best recipes I have used over the years is posted in the recipe section titled "2 of everything icing".  Sometimes I would mix about 1/2 and 1/2 of b'cream and Frostin' Pride.

I used Frostin' Pride often.  It is too sweet for my tastes but many customers asked for it.  I don't recall ever changing it - used it straight out of the carton. Personally I don't like it (on a cake) if it is older than the day after it is put on the cake.  Whenever I had an order for FP I would hold off icing & decorating the cake until the day of if at all possible. 

The best way to use it is to spoon it directly out of the carton *while it is still in it's frozen state*.  Do NOT defrost.  It takes some time to whip up and there is an exact moment when you know it is whipped enough.  It's hard to put into words - it's a sound of it slapping the bowl.   If it is over whipped it will crack on the cake once it is smoothed.  If that happens carefully scrape it off, and mix in a bit of the liquid to thin it down.  It also will be *VERY!* hard to push through a tip.  It needs to be a bit on the thin side to pipe with but whipped enough to hold it's shape.

crosbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crosbycakes Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 1:53am
post #5 of 12

I ice most all my cakes with Pastry Pride,  I often mix mediums like i ice the cake with pastry Pride but use buttercream for decorations, 

Here is a cake I Iced and decorated with Pastry Pride so you can have a idea of what that would look like

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3343333/pink-smash-cake-with-fondant-owl

I am a second generation cake decorator, but my mother used pasty pride she would ice and decorate make ruffles she made awesome cakes, all with pastry Pride I have never mastered to that degree

but also in 20 years of decorating I can't say I have gotten on bad review of Pastry Pride people like it because it's not very sweet 

Hope this helps

Debbie45628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie45628 Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 5:09am
post #6 of 12

Crosbycakes,     was wondering if you colored the Pastry Pride and if it is hard to achieve the desired colors....where can this be purchased?  Thanks

sparkledee3 Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 6:35am
post #7 of 12

Does the Pastry Pride have a greasy and chemical aftertaste?

crosbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crosbycakes Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 12

Debbie45628 I use amerigels to color pastry pride and put it in while I'm mixing it! It doesn't work well with very dark colors, so I airbrush if I want something dark or use buttercream frosting if I need a dark decoration,

In my town I get it at a food wholesales in bigger towns cash and carry or smart and final.

sparkledee3,  I personally think it's more like a whipped cream taste but it is not as sweet as frosting pride is and it's stable I don't and anything to it

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 1:54am
post #9 of 12

Sparkledee - why don't you just make you own icing from scratch?  There are lots of good recipes on this site, and since you will know exactly what is in them you won't have to worry about a weird greasy film.

sparkledee3 Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 5:31am
post #10 of 12

Erin2345 I do make my recipes from scratch for home use. This is all new to me decorating and needing to keep a cake out at an event for a long period of time. My frosting recipes won't hold up to piping. That's why I'm here looking for alternatives. Most products I see I haven't heard of before. Have gotten tons of great information here but can't buy every product I see to test it out.

kakeladi Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 12

Interesting that some people think Pastry Pride 'less sweet' than b'cream as I find it very, very sweet.  It leaves a cloying sweet aftertaste in my mouth that is greasy and annoying.  BUT........each to their own tastes :)    You know. like what ever floats your boat!  LOL

Years ago (in the early '90s) I contacted the folks who make it and asked some ?s.  They were VERY surprised to find out that many decorators were using PP instead of Frostin' Pride.  They explained that PP was *never meant to be used as icing on cakes*. 

I lost all my recipes and can't remember most of them but for years I used a b'cream that cut the sweetness by adding 2 Tablespoons of UNflavored yogurt for any liquid.  For the past 10 or 12 years my favorite has been '2 of everything icing' that I have posted in the recipe section.

I found the problem with most icing recipes is that there is not enough flavoring in them.  If you up the amount of flavoring used in most any recipe to 2 Tablespoons you will have a much better tasting one.

sparkledee3 Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 4:27pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks so much everyone! @kaleladi I am going to try your recipe today! Can't wait to start practicing the decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%