Snickerdoodle Cookie In Cake

Baking By tal Updated 5 Jul 2015 , 8:16pm by SquirrellyCakes

tal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tal Posted 5 Jul 2015 , 3:30am
post #1 of 7

I have a snickerdoodle cake recipe and wondered if i could add the actual cookie into the batter? Bake the cookies, crumble and layer on top of cake batter, then repeat.  

6 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 5 Jul 2015 , 5:27am
post #2 of 7

SNICKERDOODLE CAKE

This is a snickerdoodle cake that I have made in the past.  It is very rich, but very good.   I made a giant cookie to put between the layers, rather than mixing/crumbling the cookie in with the cake, which I have never tried to do.  Hope it is a helpful idea.  

CAKE

Favorite white cake recipe for two 8 or 9 inch layers.  Add 2 tsps cinnamon to the batter before baking

COOKIE

1 c butter

1 ½ c sugar

2 eggs

2 ¾ c flour

2 tsp cream of tartar

1 tsp baking soda

¼ teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons cinnamon

Cream together the butter and sugar, mixing until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each.  Combine the dry ingredients, then add to the butter mixture, blending well.  Line a 9” cake pan with a parchment circle.  Pat approximately half of the dough evenly into the pan.  (Freeze the remaining dough or make cookies).   Cook in a 325 degree oven for  approximately 20 minutes, rotating the pan  halfway through, until the top is golden and the cookie is set.  Cool the cookie for a few minutes then remove it from the pan,  turning the cookie  right side up.  While it is still warm and soft, level the cookie with a large serrated knife.  

BUTTERCREAM

Brown sugar swiss meringue buttercream with cinnamon (Best)

Or:

4 sticks butter (1 pound) room temp

1 c packed light brown sugar

2 tsp ground cinnamon

2 pound bag powdered sugar

1 tsp vanilla

½ c  half and half, or more as needed  (can substitute cream or milk)

Blend the butter and brown sugar in a large mixer until smooth and creamy, for several minutes.  Mix in vanilla and cinnamon.  Mix in powdered sugar, beating for several minutes until well blended.  Add half and half  (or cream or milk) until the desired consistency

ASSEMBLY

Level the cake layers if needed.  Place one cake layer on a cake plate.  Cover the layer with a layer of frosting.  Place the cookie layer on top of the frosting, and spread another layer of frosting on top of the cookie.  Place the second cake layer on top of the frosted cookie.  Crumb coat the entire cake with frosting.  Refrigerate until set, then frost completely.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2015 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 7

wow, yortma, that sounds delicious

tal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tal Posted 5 Jul 2015 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 7

OMGosh!   My mouth is watering!!!!  I cant wait to try this.  The white cake recipe is WASC but will that will hold up with the heavy cookie layer?

lisatipperoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisatipperoo Posted 5 Jul 2015 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 7

I must make this cake. I swear my mouth is daydreaming about it constantly. :-)

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 5 Jul 2015 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 7

I originally made this with Wasc recipe years ago before going scratch, and i don't recall having any problems with it.  the cookie layer is much thinner than the cake layer, so shouldn't be a weight issue.  if your cake recipe can stand up normally to a few layers of filling or fondant should be fine.  Can't promise if your recipe is really soft cake of course.  The cookie is a relatively soft cookie, and i think softens up a bit when sealed in the cake, so also not a problem to cut. 

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 5 Jul 2015 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 7

Love snickerdoodles so this cake recipe sounds wonderful, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%