Anyone Else Limit/refuse Sculpted Cake Orders? Customers Don't Seem To Understand Their Pricing?

Decorating By Faora Updated 5 Jul 2015 , 12:28am by 2kats

Faora Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I get a lot of requests for sculpted cakes... It is a BIG TREND! Cakes shaped like a car, a truck, a train, an elephant, Spongebob, a cartoon character, etc. I technically don't deny the requests, I just give them a price quote that 97%+ of people will not pay. This is starting to irritate me, because it shows how little people understand about cake decorating. Sculpted cakes are very labor intensive and they don't generally produce many servings. I wish these cake decorating shows would mention how much their sculpted cakes cost. 

I would rather focus on wedding cakes instead of making sculpted cakes for customers who have no clue what these edible sculptures are worth. Which is why I rarely do sculpted cakes.. it's rare to come across a customer who is willing to pay what they are worth.

What is your experience? 

3 replies
julia1812 Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 4

I do sculptured cakes and to be honest I don't find them too labour intensive. I make you a dozen lion cakes in less time than it takes me to make 50 gumpaste flowers for a wedding cake I guess. I even prefer them over cakes with lots of details like 3d fondant decoration. 

By all means, I charge for the work hour, but not unreasonably high to avoid those type of orders.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2015 , 12:24am
post #3 of 4

i think you should sculpt your business into whatever shape you want - so if you don't prefer to do sculptures cut 'em out of your repertoire

but like julia I too love the challenge of a fun sculpture but if you don't...

and I think the prices should be high --  two to three times your base price per serving with a nice minimum like starting at $250 works for me 

2kats Posted 5 Jul 2015 , 12:28am
post #4 of 4

I never do sculpted cakes, not because I can't but because I don't want to. They take too much time to make in my opinion. If I get a request for one I usually say "I'm sorry, but I don't do sculpted cakes at all".  People seem to be fine with it. Either we come up with a design that will work or they go somewhere else that will make them a sculpted cake. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%