My Homemade Fondant Is Falling

Sugar Work By Tessavw Updated 4 Jul 2015 , 11:24am by Goreti

Tessavw Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 12:05am
post #1 of 7

I'm a beginner in baking and last week I decided to make my own marshmallow fondant. 

But I only had the flavored colored mini marshmallows (orange,strawberry,...) .. I stored my fondant in the fridge and after some days I took the fondant out, and I couldn't get the texture right, it was always breaking and falling apart. 

Does this have to do with the type of marshmallows? or are it storing issues? 

I read you can store it in the fridge, but I'm not sure. 

6 replies
Goreti Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 1:11am
post #2 of 7

I'm no expert myself but it sounds like it is too dry.  Try adding some shortening or glycerine to it.  

Tessavw Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 2:56am
post #3 of 7

I added a good amount of shortening. And after a while I just gave up :-)

I will see what happens next time when I make fondant and will keep adding some shortening. 

jgifford Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 3:00am
post #4 of 7

It's been my experience that fondant and refrigeration don't mix.  It will be fine stored outside the fridge.

Tessavw Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 3:45am
post #5 of 7

Jgifford, How long can I store my fondant when not in the fridge?

FrostedMoon Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 3:55am
post #6 of 7

I exclusively use home made marshmallow fondant for my cakes.  I don't typically store it in the fridge, but you can.  In fact, you can even freeze it. Whether stored in the fridge or not, I typically rub it with shortening, cover the whole thing with saran wrap tightly, and then put it in a zip lock with the air squeezed out.  Cold fondant will not come together well.  If it is dry you can definitely make it better with shortening and/or glycerin.  You can also microwave it for a few seconds.  Just be careful, because it can get very hot and sticky.  I usually start with 3-4 seconds for a good sized ball.  Fondant will not go bad, but I do find it doesn't taste as good as time goes on.  I usually try to use up what I've made within a week or two.  

Goreti Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 11:24am
post #7 of 7

You may want to try this recipe next time.    I've had much better results since I have been using it.  I usually make it a couple of days to 1 wk before I need it.  Any leftover I usually freeze.  I have also refrigerated cakes covered in this fondant without any issues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%