How Long Can I Save This Cake? - Got My Due Date Mixed Up!

Baking By DonnaBinGrandRapids Updated 4 Jul 2015 , 12:58pm by DonnaBinGrandRapids

DonnaBinGrandRapids Posted 3 Jul 2015 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 9

A few weeks ago I agreed to bake a cake for an occasion (it's the arrival of a new puppy) and got the weekends mixed up! I have a completed cake on my kitchen counter waiting for pick up...and just found out it's for next weekend.  No one but me (and now you guys) know I've done this. Obviously I'm not going to sacrifice quality and if I have to bake it all over again next week, I will....but is there a way to preserve it? I mean cakes in grocery stores are frozen and people buy them all the time. Can I do that?  It does have an edible frosting sheet on top and at the very least I'm sure I'll need to replace that as it won't withstand the freezing. Or is it better just to refrigerate it. Or is it a lost cause.  It's a plain layer sheet cake with moderately elaborate decorations. Hoping someone can share a similar experience and tell me how it worked out. Well, I guess if I had to mess up this is better than someone showing up to pick up a cake I thought was due next weekend, right?

Donna

8 replies
costumeczar Posted 3 Jul 2015 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 9

You can wrap it well and freeze it, just make sure to leave it in the fridge to thaw out slowly next week. You'll probably have to do the icing sheet again. I don't know what kind of decorations you have on it but they may or may not survive.

DonnaBinGrandRapids Posted 3 Jul 2015 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you.  The board I have it on is too large to fit in the freezer, but I can figure something out. 

maybenot Posted 3 Jul 2015 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 9

Carefully remove the cake from the oversized board--as long as the bottom layer is on it's own same sized cake board.

Box finished cake in a cardboard box and wrap the box in several layers of saran wrap and a layer of foil.  Place in freezer.  24hrs. b/4 serving, place wrapped box in fridge.  Several hours before delivery/serving, place wrapped box on counter to come to room temp.  Right before deliver/serving, return cake to board.

This method allows any condensation to go to the box and not the cake.  It should look and taste like the day it was made.

Gingerlocks Posted 3 Jul 2015 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 9

http://rosebakes.com/can-freeze-fondant-decorated-cake/

I was weary of freezing fondant cakes too..until I read this great post by Rosebakes. Follow her instructions and the cake should be absolutely fine. Good luck though !

maybenot Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 1:45am
post #6 of 9

I've seen rosebakes instructions, but I strongly disagree with putting saran wrap up against the fondant. 

If condensation forms between the cake surface and the saran, you're up the creek with no paddle.

I KNOW that my method works and the cardboard box is the key.  The condensation will go to the box, often making it feel damp when it's removed, with no chance for it to settle on the cake.

These cakes were stored and defrosted in exactly the manner I've described.  No bleeding of the dark ruby fondant, whatsoever.  Speaks for itself.

benison+cake_9+-+Copy.jpg

DonnaBinGrandRapids Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 2:44am
post #7 of 9

Thank you. Mine is frosted in buttercream. No fondant.  So, it's in the freezer, and I know I'm going to have to redo some of the decor around the bottom edge, but it shouldn't be a problem.  It will be better than having to rebake and remix frosting and start over. Thank you all for the advice.

By the way, maybenot, how did you put a photo in your post? I don't see an icon above for an image.

Donna

maybenot Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 4:05am
post #8 of 9

If I can copy the image, I copy it and then paste it in the post.

My method works the same for buttercream.  It's the only way I'll freeze a decorated cake.

This is BC, frozen and defrosted by the customer per my instructions [the bow & numbers were stored at room temp in a separate box and placed by the customer]:

Gina+bow+25th+cake.jpg

DonnaBinGrandRapids Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 12:58pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%