German Chocolate Wasc

Baking By meagalicious Updated 3 Jul 2015 , 10:26pm by maybenot

meagalicious Posted 3 Jul 2015 , 12:34pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone made a German Chocolate White Almond Sour Cream Cake? Just wondering what flavorings you used and if you added any cocoa powder?

4 replies
craftybanana2 Posted 3 Jul 2015 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know what makes it a German chocolate as opposed to a regular chocolate cake, but here is a huge list of WASC variations by MacsMom: Page 9 is where the chocolate variation is. It's not a scratch version though, based on cake mixes.

Mommapeil Posted 3 Jul 2015 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 5

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jul 2015 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 5

meagalicious and crafty - some cakes like gc are misunderstood  -- german chocolate is made with chocolate developed by a man named mr. german ergo "german's chocolate" which became "german chocolate"  but not in referenceto germany -- it's a specific chocolate product 

so while you can make a different or even a better chocolates cake you can only use "german's chocolate" to make a real german chocolate cake 

as far as extending a gc cake mix I would find the gc recipe online and get the correct ratio of how much chocolate to flour and extend it that way but otherwise I'd just make it from scratch all the way

maybenot Posted 3 Jul 2015 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, I've made it using german chocolate mix--Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker.  With DH, I add 2 boxes of MILK chocolate or white chocolate instant pudding mix.  BC already has pudding in the mix, so need to add more.  I use 2tsp of chocolate extract and 2tsp of vanilla extract.

I made this cake for a real lover of german chocolate cake and he said it was the best he'd ever had.  My filling was DH coconut pecan canned icing with some added coconut and pecan pieces.  The finish icing was milk chocolate meringue buttercream.

Remember that if using the older WASC recipes that call for just "2 boxes of cake mix", those are referring to the 18.25 oz. boxes of mix, so if buying the now smaller boxes, you need to add 6 ounces of dry mix from a 3rd box in order to get the same ratios.

Quote by @%username% on %date%