Why Do My Cakepops Crack?!

Baking By Cakeness Updated 14 Jul 2015 , 3:49am by Medley

Cakeness Posted 3 Jul 2015 , 7:01am
post #1 of 4

Sometimes I have no problem with the cake, and then other times, like right now, my cake pops are cracking!  I make the shape and as soon as I put the sticks in they end up cracking! I tried sealing the cracks with chocolate before dipping them. I don't know what else to do. Please help!

3 replies
PattyT Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 4

From what you are describing - and I'm just guessing - the cake / frosting mixture sounds like it is too dry.   The moisture in the two ingredients could be different on every batch you make.  If that particular cake is dryer than normal, try adding a bit more frosting.  Adjust the ratio until it holds together when you insert the stick.

From your headline, I thought they were cracking after you dipped them in the chocolate...that's usually caused by the cake pop being too cold when you dip.  As it warms to room temp, it expands a bit and cracks the hardened chocolate.

There are a bunch of cake pop tutorials online.  Many have troubleshooting tips.  I'll see if I can find some for you.

PattyT Posted 4 Jul 2015 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 4

Bingo!!  I Googled the three words:  cake pops troubleshooting

The first one that pops up looks excellent.  It's a blog named "Niner Bakes" and it has an excellent list of some of the common questions, including yours.  Here's the link. 

There were many more on the Google results page.  I'm sure they're all good, but since this one had your answer, I stopped right there.

Hope it helps.

Medley Posted 14 Jul 2015 , 3:49am
post #4 of 4

I use to have the same problem, until i dipped the cake pops at room temperature.  They were too cold at the time of dipping and as they warm up they expand and crack.

Quote by @%username% on %date%