Eagle Scout Cake

Decorating By EagleScout2015

EagleScout2015 Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 1

I'm working on my son's cake for his Eagle Scout court of honor.  I am by no means a professional or expert.   I've done some decent birthday cakes for my kids in the past.  I have minimal experience with fondant.  I'm mostly trying to wrap my mind around my timeline and would like another set of eyes to look at my plan to make sure I'm not making an error.  I've read this site in the past for advice and it is always so helpful!   And this is too important of an occasion to mess up! :)

Right now my plan is to make a 3 tiered cake with cream cheese icing (DS request) with a merit badge sash made of fondant draped over it.  I'm planning on coloring the icing a khaki color.  I'm ordering the merit badges from a company online that prints edible images (I'm not talented enough to make them out of fondant).  The tiers will be on a cake stand because he has 43 merit badges and we estimate the sash will be 5.25"x 24.75" going 3 across.  (DH is going to make the cake stand out of wood/logs to give it a rustic look. DS wanted the reception to have an outdoorsy look).  With the cake stand I think it'll give me enough height to drape the sash.  I'm going to cut out fondant circles to mount the edible images on to the sash to give it dimension.

I typically make my cakes ahead of time and freeze them.  I am wanting to do as much of the decorating ahead  of time because this court of honor is like planning a small wedding and I'm in charge of the whole thing.  I don't want to be knee deep in cake that day although I know I'll need to do some work that day. 

• How far in advance can I make the sash?
  • What is the best way to store it so that its pliable enough to drape when we get to the church?
  • I assume I'll need to keep the icing/cake refrigerated since it's cream cheese icing?

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%