Cake Separator Plates And Cake Boards

Decorating By Pekidesserts Updated 2 Jul 2015 , 9:28pm by Pekidesserts

Pekidesserts Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 2:19am
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if a cake board/circle have to be the exact same size as the separator plate? Would you really need a separator plate for stacking tiered cakes? I already have the Wilton hidden pillars and was going to use them alone until I came across the separator plates, which are quite expensive for a single piece. Could anyone kindly share their ideas on this and with pictures if have?

Thank you!

6 replies
julia1812 Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 10:59am
post #2 of 7

Yes, I use a separator plate. Don't know what else you would rest the next tier on. They are not really expensive here...couple of cents. Not sure if I fully understand what your plan is with the hidden pillars but no plate???

Pekidesserts Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 7

Hi Julia1812, so does the cake circle and the separator plate have to be the same size?  For instance, a 12" cake circle on a 12" separator plate.. or it doesn't really matter?  I was planning on using just cake circles but now I'm leaning more on the sep. plates because of all the good reviews about them...

cakedout Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 7

For a stacked tier cake, I used the single-plate/hidden pillars method for many years.  I liked how the 'feet' of the plates gave extra stability to the construction.  Now I often just put each tier on a cake drum or cut out a cc from foamcore board and use the hidden pillars or similar disposable dowels.  I then sharpen a long wooden dowel and tap it down thru the entire tiered cake and into the base board.   You can't do that with the single-plate method unless you actually drill out a hole in the center of each plate (which a friend of mine actually did!).

Either way- I use a plate/cake drum/cc the same size as the tier.  If your cake design calls for a relatively small base border, you can even get away with using a plate and/or cc one size smaller. . . a 12" tier on an 11" plate.

Pekidesserts Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you both for your inputs.  This is some great information!  I will surely put your suggestions to good use.

annakat444 Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 7

cakedout - how have you secured the drum (or whatever you used) to the plate? I'm planning to use royal icing but was wondering if there's a better way (I'm assembling the cake on-site).

Pekidesserts Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 7

Hi annakat444, I put a little glue in the middle of the plate before I place the circle/drum on the separator plate.  I think it's best to assemble the cake on-site with cakes still on drums/circles and then when you assemble you put them on the separator plates.  It will be my first time using the plates but from reading the other reviews I learned that this is a very stable method.  You wouldn't need anything else to stabilize.  hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%