Looking For A Specific White Cake

Baking By craftybanana2 Updated 2 Jul 2015 , 7:21pm by craftybanana2

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

I've never made a white cake, so I don't know the answer. Does anyone know what kind of white cake is the kind Olive Garden uses for their Lemon Creme cake? I'm not looking for a copycat recipe, just wondering what kind of cake it is. And do you know if that kind lends itself to cupcakes, or is it better as a whole cake? I was thinking of trying to make a white cake, but not sure where to start since there are so many types of cake in general. If I had to describe it, it was light and fluffy, yet not too sweet like an angel food cake. Thanks in advance!

3 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 4

Doing a Google search I pulled up two recipes. Might both be the same recipe but I am on my phone so I cannot open windows to compare.

Chef Amber K at allrecipes.com  has one under lemon cream cake olive garden and on  sparkrecipes.com one is listed as "Olive Garden" Lemon Cream Cake.

They use a cake mix base.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 4

Since you are not looking for a copycat recipe, my best guess is the cake in the Olive Garden cake is made with nutex/fluid flex. For home use, the closest I can think of is dream whip cake, possibly using buttermilk to temper the sweetness. You are looking for oil based to be soft when cold. Possibly a chiffon.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 4

Quote by @Rfisher on 1 hour ago

Since you are not looking for a copycat recipe, my best guess is the cake in the Olive Garden cake is made with nutex/fluid flex. For home use, the closest I can think of is dream whip cake, possibly using buttermilk to temper the sweetness. You are looking for oil based to be soft when cold. Possibly a chiffon.

Thank you! I'll check out some chiffon recipes then. I don't want it exactly, but the only "white cakes" I've ever had were either a dry grocery store cake or Olive Garden's lemon cake. I wasn't sure if that was a standard white cake or a specific kind of cake. If I can get it to come out good, then this will be added to the list I make for my family (I'm starting to get all cookie'd out lols).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%