Homemade Fondant Too Soft!

Decorating By cookies26 Updated 30 Jun 2015 , 11:41pm by costumeczar

cookies26 Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 9

Hello my homemade rolled buttercream fondant is too soft can I add tylose powder to make it stiff enough to roll and apply to my cakes?tia

8 replies
costumeczar Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 9

What recipe did you use? There's rolled buttercream and there's homemade fondant, but they're not the same thing, If we tell you tips on how to stiffen up one and it's meant for the other it isn't going to help at all!

cookies26 Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 9

I used the recipe for rolled buttercream fondant from all recipes.com

SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 9

Which one?  There is more than one on that site.  Have you tried adding more powdered sugar?

cookies26 Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 9

The recipe is for rolled buttercream fondant by Kelley on all recipes.

Quote by @SquirrellyCakes on 27 minutes ago

Which one?  There is more than one on that site.  Have you tried adding more powdered sugar?

SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 9

I haven't made the recipe. I read the recipe and directions and reviews.

Seems that people either really love it or have had no luck with it.

Have you tried adding more powdered sugar and kneading it more to make it workable?

Have you put a thin layer of buttercream on your cake first and refrigerated the buttercream coated cake to firm up and cool before applying the buttercream fondant?

It isn't going to have the same texture as fondant as there is nothing in it to make it elastic. 

Have you tried rolling it out between sheets of parchment paper?

Jinkies Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 9

I would say that recipe is more for decorating cookies.  However, I did read a lot of the reviews and a lot of people said to store it in the fridge for at least 8 hours and it worked better.

I'm thinking that's more of a rolled buttercream than a "fondant" but looks like  there were some people who were able to make it work.

If you already let it sit in the fridge, I would try maybe adding some more powdered sugar but  I think it's something you'll have to play with the ingredients, kinda a trial and error type of thing, to see if you can make it work.

Hopefully someone else will have some better advice.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 9

Jinkies, I was thinking the same thing - it does sound like a rolled buttercream. I agree it would be easier to use for cookies but some people successfully covered cakes.

costumeczar Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 11:41pm
post #9 of 9

Okay, this clears up why people are referring to rolled buttercream as fondant, anyway. That recipe is NOT fondant, it's a rolled buttercream. There have been a few posts on here recently where people have said that their fondant is too soft, and when they're given ideas to stiffen up fondant it doesn't work because this it NOT fondant. Fondant has gelatin in it, or some type of a gum to give it stretch and elasticity. This is basically a wet powdered sugar that has no stretch to it, so you won't be able to use it like fondant for things like modeling and flowers. Rolled buttercream was made to imitate the rounded edge that you get when you cover a cake with fondant while avoiding the fondant texture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%