Do Frostings Need Refrigerated??

Decorating By dkosik1 Updated 1 Jul 2015 , 12:56am by AAtKT

dkosik1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkosik1 Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone! I live in Illinois. I've registered as a cottage food operation with my county and am going to start selling at farmers markets. 

While looking for label samples, I happened upon a site that had what foods were allowed. It said "buttercream were borderline (as to if they were acceptable) and to check with the local health dept."

My health dept simply says it can't have to be refrigerated. So then I look online for if cream cheese frosting HAS to be refrigerated. Some say yes. Some say "if you have at least 4 cups of sugar for every 8 ounces of cream cheese then it does not need refrigerated."

Any thoughts?  I don't want to get shut down my first day! But I've also never refrigerated iced cakes or cupcakes.

3 replies
sweets2thesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweets2thesweet Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 4

You should have submitted all your recipes with your cottage food application.  If they're approved, then you're fine.  I know in Utah, if a recipe is borderline they'll have it tested for shelf stability, and yes there definitely are some cream cheese icings that have enough sugar they are shelf stable.  Good luck with your new business!

dkosik1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkosik1 Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 4

In my county they don't require you submit recipes! That would have made this easier (maybe).

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 12:56am
post #4 of 4

In Ohio there is no requirement to submit recipes when operating as a Cottage Food Operation either.

I think submissions vary by area.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%