Is It Poss. To Make Egg-Free Swiss Roll Or Deco Cakes?

Baking By imbny Updated 30 Jun 2015 , 9:36pm by Rfisher

imbny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imbny Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 4:10am
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I've baked all my life and just this week have found out that I've an allergy either to  eggs (which, w/ several other sulfa allergies would make sense) or an allergy to strawberries (which would really come out of left field, but being allergic to tomatoes and a latex allergies could happen, but it's a little less likely.)

Atop of the new allergy, I'm a life-long vegetarian with other food allergies.

I've a birthday soon and would *really* like to make a cake--particularly a Junko/Deco/Swiss roll cake...only I'm not sure *at all* how to bake a cake w/o eggs.  As for egg-substitutes, I've read about flax and chia seeds as well as condensed milk.  With a Deco cake, one that requires 2 separate batters to place, then fill the designs...I'm just *really* hoping and hoping there might be a substitute for eggs tht would work well.

(Fingers crossed that there's a way!)

Thanks so much!

bny

4 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 5

I think your issue is that a sponge cake like a Swiss roll relies on eggs for its volume, structure and texture. You can make an egg-free cake but it's not going to behave like a Swiss roll, in my experience egg-free cakes are generally denser and not as elastic - which is exactly what you don't want in a cake you're going to roll up!

Have a search for vegan sponge cakes and start experimenting is my suggestion. The flax/chia seed egg replacer are fine for denser cakes but won't work here. There is a product in Australia called Orgran egg replacer which might help if you can get hold of it, but I really don't think it would produce the volume you need.

Good luck and happy birthday in advance!

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 5

Try searching for vegan Swiss roll recipes on Google - I just tried and there are lots of options. The first kind by allergymums.co.uk looks good. Enjoy your experimenting!

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 5

My best guess, would be replacing egg with gelatin (http://www.food.com/recipe/egg-substitute-for-baking-92396) and use a box mix for white cake that doesn't contain egg powder. Stream the egg replacement in while beating the batter.

i don't think increasing flour in a wacky/depression/crazy cake recipe would work, just like the above comment on other egg free sponges, the texture you are looking for, and roll-ability won't be there.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 30 Jun 2015 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%