Butter Icing Or Other

Decorating By LibbieWaddleton Updated 1 Jul 2015 , 8:02am by LibbieWaddleton

LibbieWaddleton Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 3

Hi guys.

I'm trying to create a vienetta out of cake. To be precise a strawberrvienetta.

Would you use a butter icing or a royal icing?

Also how do you make butter icing white 

2 replies
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 3:19am
post #2 of 3

I am in Canada and had never heard of a vienetta before so I had to look it up. So normally it is made of ice cream but you want to imitate it in cake and wonder what icing to use. Some form of buttercream would be the best choice for texture. Not sure if you mean American, Swiss or Italian Meringue buttercream.

As far as making it white, well you could make an all shortening buttercream with clear vanilla and optional artificial butter flavouring. Otherwise if using butter or half butter, half shortening,  you could use clear vanilla and a few drops of an icing whitener. I know Wilton used to make an icing whitener, not sure if they still do. Also, if you put a tiny drop of violet in your icing it gives a better white.

Royal icing would give you a true white but not the right texture.

My personal preference is all butter with regular pure good vanilla extract. Pure white for me is not worth sacrificing taste. I don't like shortening icing, nor do I like artificial clear vanilla or artificial butter flavouring. But we all have our own opinions.

LibbieWaddleton Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 8:02am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the tips, i'm looking at ordinary butter icing, ie just butter and icing sugar, not posh buttercreams.

I'll bear all that in mind and see what I come up with .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%