Rolled Fondant And Candy Melts

Decorating By julia1812 Updated 1 Jul 2015 , 2:15pm by costumeczar

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 11:29am
post #1 of 10

I'm wondering if it's possible to colour rolled fondant with candy melts?

Need a batch of black. 

Normally I used marshmallows fondant, candy melts and extra food coloring gel for red and black.

Does it work with rolled fondant too? And if so, same ratio or different? Would love to hear you experience. 

9 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 10

I make MMF just like you said, but I did try to add candy melts to already made MMF and it did not work.  It made the fondant crumbly.  But you can try it and see if it works for you.  Take a handful of fondant and add melted candy melts and see what happens.

julia1812 Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 10

No, sorry. I should have explained it better. I make the mmf and the rolled fondant from scratch and add the melted candy melts in the process of making it. But so far I only added it while making mmf. So am wondering if and how one could add it while making rolled fondant. 

julia1812 Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 10

No, sorry. I should have explained it better. I make the mmf and the rolled fondant from scratch and add the melted candy melts in the process of making it. But so far I only added it while making mmf. So am wondering if and how one could add it while making rolled fondant. 

ropalma Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 10

I think rolled fondant is the fondant that you buy already made.  I mixed melted candy with already made MMF and it did not work.  I am guessing it might react the same with rolled fondant

julia1812 Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 4:15am
post #6 of 10

No, I make the fondant at home. Theoretically it would be possible to add it in the process of making it. Just wondering when exactly. 

ropalma Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 12:01pm
post #7 of 10

You melt the marshmallow and melt the candy melts separately.  Once both melted you mix them together and add more food coloring as needed to get the color you want.  You then mix this with the powdered sugar and continue the process as usual from there.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 12:03pm
post #8 of 10

When you're saying "rolled fondant" is it that rolled buttercream recipe that's floating around? That isn't fondant, and you can't put candy melts into it. 

julia1812 Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 10

No. I mean fondant. NOT marshmallow fondant, NOT rolled buttercream. Just "normal " homemade fondant.  

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jul 2015 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 10

Quote by @julia1812 on 9 seconds ago

No. I mean fondant. NOT marshmallow fondant, NOT rolled buttercream. Just "normal " homemade fondant.  

Okay then...I combine homemade fondant with modeling chocolate all the time and that colors it. I don't think it would work to just melt candy melts and put it straight in there, but you could make black modeling chocolate and use that instead of the fondant or combine it with fondant to make it more roll-able.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%