Crusting Buttercream Frosting And High Ratio Shortening

Decorating By flawless1 Updated 29 Jun 2015 , 9:56pm by Rfisher

flawless1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flawless1 Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 12

Do anyone have a crusting buttercream frosting recipe that can withstand temperature greater than 95 degrees and doesn't require the use of Crisco shortening ( Crisco is tooo greasy and in my opinion takes away from the frosting)?  The crusting buttercream recipe that I usually use required high ratio shortening which worked perfectly.  The high ratio shortening that I used was sweetex but it was given to me by a  friend. When I attempted to order sweetex I was shocked by the price. One pound is  $4.19  plus shipping and handling or $120.00 for fifty  pound plus shipping and handling.

Please Help

Thanks 

11 replies
WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 12

This is where I buy my hi-ratio shortening, $12.00 for 4 lbs.  I hate the way my frosting turns out with Crisco since there is no trans-fat.  Tastes horrible and doesn't crust well.  Hope this helps you in the future.

http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/TBK-Professional-High-Ratio-Icing-Shortening.aspx

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 12

Where do you live? In Canada I buy mine at the Bulk Store.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 12

If you do a search on the internet you will find a discussion on Cake central regarding Sweetex high ratio shortening and Sweetex icing shortening. Also in the U.S. it is my understanding that Sweetex will soon, if not already now - be made without transfat. It will affect the melting point making it lower.

As far as a recipe goes, you can substitute the high ratio or icing shortening where shortening is called for in a crusting buttercream recipe or use  a high ratio recipe. But if the recipe also contains butter, it will still have a lower melting point.

flawless1 Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 12

WeezyS Thank you for the website.  I can't wait to order it.

Thanks 

flawless1 Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 12

SquirellyCakes I live in the U.S. and didn't realize that Sweetex will be made without transfat. I am going to order it from The Bakers Kitchen where it is much cheaper.

Thanks 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 12

Glad  you were able to find it cheaper.

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 12

Glad I could help.  This is not sweetex, but TBK brand, but works just as good. Of course you still have shipping rates. They have alot of items on their website for cake decorators, check  it out.

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 12

I bought Wesson Supper Quick HE shortening at a local restaurant supply.  It was TERRIBLE in SMBC.  Has anyone else tried this brand?  It left little unmixed bits of shortening and I couldn't taste the butter at all.  I haven't used it in ABC yet, my clients prefer the SMBC.  Now I've got 50 lbs. of it staring at me.  

Thoughts anyone?

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 12

Use it for baking instead? There is an article on CC here about how there is high ratio cake shortening and icing shortening. I am guessing this one is cake shortening so it will make your cakes more tender.

I had this problem too with another brand.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 9:45pm
post #11 of 12

OP, if you are greater than one day transit from where it ships, spring for expedited shipping and cold packs no matter what. Once it wilts/gets melty, I don't feel it ever to be the same. And most likely if that happens and you refuse to use it,  you won't be able to return it or get a refund either.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 9:56pm
post #12 of 12

And if you might find performance differences between the Sweetex/TBK/CK. I do. Not much, but it's there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%