Vanilla Butter Cake

Decorating By KiwiGirl96 Updated 29 Jun 2015 , 6:34am by KiwiGirl96

KiwiGirl96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KiwiGirl96 Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 4:18am
post #1 of 8

So I made my First Vanilla Butter Cake today and while I'm waiting on it to cool so I can Level it I was wondering what the best Butter Cream recipe would be for a crumb coat?  And would it be best to create the Butter cream now and sit it in the fridge for awhile? Or make it right before I put it on the cake?

7 replies
shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 9:16am
post #2 of 8

Most buttercreams will set up and harden in the refrigerator. You need it to be at room temp to ice the cake. 

There are several different types of buttercream. American, Swiss Meringue, Italian Meringue. They all have different types/ratios of fat and sugar. They require different processes to make. Do you know more specifically what type of buttercream you want to use?

KiwiGirl96 Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 10:53am
post #3 of 8

No not at all sadly. Ive only just decided to try decorating my own cakes as my younger sister wants a cake for her birthday so I though I could save money and do it myself...Whats the easiest type of Butter cream to make?

snixnaxshax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snixnaxshax Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 11:39am
post #4 of 8

This is my go to recipe for butter cream frosting.. 31/2 sticks of un salted butter.. When butter is room temp, place butter in mixing bowl. If you have a stand mixer use a paddle attachement and beat butter for 7 mins until butter is pale. Then added 3-4 cups of powered sugar, 3 tablespoons of milk or heavy whipping cream, and 1 table spoon of vanilla, MIx  until light and fluffy. 

suggestion. Once your cake is cooled, place cake in freezer for about 10 mins then tort it, it will make it easier to frost. 

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 8

snixnaxshax, if you have a stand mixer and a paddle attachment you can save time when making your icing and anything else requiring room temperature butter by slicing your cold butter and mixing on low until softened. Bonus is, it won't get greasy the way it does sometimes if you beat room temperature butter. Plus, you don't have to wait. Try it.

KiwiGirl96 Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 4:16am
post #6 of 8

I finished my cake....Fondant is a bit lumpy and uneven due to not having anything but a knife to smooth it, And I mucked up on my buttercream and now its stained my white fondant but yeah...... anyone have any easy ideas to fondant decorations I can make using the left over fondant?

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 6:23am
post #7 of 8

Polka dots if you have circle cutters - or rolled ribbon roses or cutout blossom flowers. You could even make a zebra print if you don't have any cutters, just slice up the remaining fondant and attach it with a tiny bit of water. Use them to strategically disguise any dodgy bits of fondant....

KiwiGirl96 Posted 29 Jun 2015 , 6:34am
post #8 of 8

Thanks lol the icing isn't very good as I went from the outside in instead of the inside out but I know not to do that now....plus I couldn't find an icing bag so made one using our piping bag tips and a plastics ziplock bag

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%