Help! Customer Needs Cake By Tomorrow But May Need To Change To Next Week ....

Business By Jbunny930 Updated 27 Jun 2015 , 3:50am by winniemog

Jbunny930 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jbunny930 Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 12

Help please! I have a customer who wanted a cake and cake pops for her son's birthday party tomorrow. However, she was having it at a theme park and there's a chance that it might rain. If it rains, then the park closes and she has a rain date of July 3rd. I've already baked the cakes and was going to finish them tonight, same with the cake pops. What would you guys suggest I do with them if she decides to use the rain date instead? Can I freeze the cake once it's put together? What about the cake pops? I've never been in this kind of situation before so I don't really know what to do. Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions! :)

11 replies
ldydeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ldydeb Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 12

Freeze until solid then wrap with plastic wrap. On the 2nd. take out of freezer and immediately unwrap let thaw and serve. Hope this helps

Jbunny930 Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 12

Idydeb- thanks, it does help! Would you freeze the cake put together or as separate pieces? I just heard from the customer and she said they're going to wait until tomorrow (the day of the party) to see if they're going to still go or cancel it.

ldydeb Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 12

It depends on the amount of freezer space and if you will have the time to finish after thawing. If you put it together later, make sure it is completely thawed before doing any modifications. You need to wait for condensation to dissolve. Glad I could help and good luck, you have this.

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 12

Does she know that you're almost done? It's cake! Why should you have to manage her problem...let her freeze it! 

Sorry but I have no patience for these types of people.

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 12

Gagh.

Thia is not your problem. And, no, you are not being 'mean' when you have policies.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 12

MKC and Jedi Knight are right, when she places an order for a date, that's when she gets to pick the cake up. If it rains and she need to freeze everything that's her job to do, not yours. Because I guarantee that if you have a "freezer error" and the colors run or something happens to the cake she'll pitch a fit even though it was her fault for having to postpone the party.

The conversation should go like this:

You: What date do you want to pick the cake up?

Her: Tomorrow, but if it rains I'll have to postpone. 

You: so you want to place the order for tomorrow?

Her: Yes, but if it rains I'll have to postpone the party.

You: Okay, you can pick the cake up tomorrow, and if it rains I'll tell you how to freeze everything.

Her: I want you to make a new cake if I have to postpone!

You: I can do that, and it will cost X amount for the second order. I'll still have the first cake ready for you to pick up tomorrow, what time would be good for you? 

Her: But I don't want to pay for it twice!

You: Then you can follow the freezing instructions that I give you when you pick up the cake tomorrow. What time did you say that you want to pick it up again? I don't think you told me yet. 

ldydeb Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 12

If your policies are mentioned up front.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 12

Someone put a post on here a few weeks ago which involved a 'rain date' for a wedding. Seriously? How can you just 'rearrange' your wedding?? I don't get it! I'd never heard of a rain date before then. But, I'm with the others here though. If she made the booking for tomorrow, then tomorrow is when she gets the cake however following through on that would have to depend on what you said to her when she ordered. Hope it stays sunny!

ldydeb Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 11:02pm
post #10 of 12

Most decorators are on a "drop name" basis. And it's not good business to make an unhappy customer. If you bend a little most customers will pass that along too. I have never had a situation where I could not nor would not accommodate my customers. And yes they are told that if freezing is necessary that the colors might run and the cake will not be remade if this happens. And they do sometimes run.

Jbunny930 Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 12

Wow! Thank you all for the responses. I have to admit that this started out as a little hobby and turned into a little side business, so I'm still pretty new to learning how to operate a business. When she placed the order, she said she needed it for June 27th. She didn't mention anything about a rain date. So I don't think that she had a rain date to begin with. I have a feeling that when she saw we were supposed to have rain tomorrow and called the park, she had to pick another day just in case. But that was really only yesterday. 

Since I never had to freeze a cake before, if I finish it tonight, how would you suggest she freeze it if she has to postpone the party. I'm making a two tiered cake (8in & 10in round cakes), banana pudding and chocolate ganache filling, covered with fondant. Oh and the cake pops - she would be able to freeze those too? 

Seriously you guys rock with your messages. I knew I came to the right place to ask these questions. Thank you for all your help so far! :) 

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 27 Jun 2015 , 3:50am
post #12 of 12

The cake pops should be fine in the fridge for a week. I can't comment on freezing the cake as I'm not familiar with "pudding" fillings and how they behave - but cake and ganache would have no issues being frozen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%