Gumpaste Trees Still Soft

Decorating By Jenmarlene Updated 16 Jul 2015 , 7:26pm by annakat444

Jenmarlene Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 11:24am
post #1 of 8

I made flat trees for an owl cake yesterday (Thursday) i put crisco on the trees for the sheen look, this morning they are still soft. The cake is due tomorrow, will it harden up by then, (crossing my finger) if not, what can I do?

7 replies
Jinkies Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 8

Put them in your oven with ONLY the oven light on.  Put them on a sponge mat if you have one so air can also get to the bottom of them.  You can leave them there all day and night.  That should dry them out pretty well.

Jenmarlene Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you!!! Even though i kneaded a lot of crisco in the gumpaste and rubbed more over it when completed

Jenmarlene Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you!!! Even though i kneaded a lot of crisco in the gumpaste and rubbed more over it when completed

SquirrellyCakes Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 8

That is the problem, you created issues by adding Crisco and rubbing more on them. If I were you, I would make them over again and to get them to set up hard - if that is your intention, go with Jinkie's advice. I would even add some tylose if you have some, to speed it up.

You can put a tiny bit of Crisco on your work surface to enable easy roll out. But usually we only apply a bit extra for sheen - to a fondant covered cake, not gumpaste items we wish to harden up. 

DnDPastry Posted 27 Jun 2015 , 3:43am
post #6 of 8

Just a helpful hint for the future!

I have collected piles of those desiccant/silica gel packets that are usually included with shoes/handbags etc. They're meant to absorb moisture, so you can place one (or a few) in a container with the gumpaste pieces that you want to dry out.

Sometimes that helps speed up the drying process :)

Jenmarlene Posted 16 Jul 2015 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 8

oh wow thanks for the tip!!

annakat444 Posted 16 Jul 2015 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 8

What brand gumpaste are you using? I used Bakel's once for flowers and it never firmed up. I found out after posting about it here that that brand just doesn't work. If you have time, maybe you can re-do them - either use a different brand of gumpaste or use fondant with a good bit of tylose mixed in - either dry in the oven with the light on or put a fan on it. I always put my boards, toppers, etc. under a fan and they're mostly dry within 24 hrs. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%