Vertical Isomalt Icicles

Sugar Work By NekosDemon Updated 27 Jul 2015 , 3:31pm by Shasha2727

NekosDemon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NekosDemon Posted 25 Jun 2015 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 2

Hello  :) 

This is my first time working with isomalt. I have a cake that will need me to attach vertical standing isomalt icicles to the top of a fondant cake. The cake will be traveling for over an hour away. What is the best way to attach them? The customer wants them to be tall like 7 to 8 inches.

1 reply
Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 27 Jul 2015 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 2

SO......I'm picturing stalactite type icicles pushing UP from cake, thick at bottom, thin at top? I've had good luck with Isomalt. I have Bottecelli style seashells made a year ago that have been stored in my 100 degree +++ garage that look exactly as they did the day they were made. Good stuff.

I think I would make the icicles at least 25-30% longer than the desired protrusion length, and insert them into the cake once it's at the venue. Possibly secure them with candy melts or gumpaste. Isomalt in it's molten state is very malleable, so you could just make rod shaped structures with hot Isomalt and pull / shape them as they cool. There are ice cube trays that make cylinders for inserting into water bottles that could be used for molds to start from. Also there are isomalt sticks, tho I've never used them. Maybe starting with a stick and heating/ pulling it would work. But structurally, you need a big beefy base to insert into the cake, to act as the foundation/counter weight for the icicle above.

That is all conjecture, but could/should work. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%