I Did It Thanks To You! First Big Wedding Cake For A Beginner

Baking By DJFIT9999 Updated 7 Jul 2015 , 5:50am by Izzylyssesweets

DJFIT9999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DJFIT9999 Posted 23 Jun 2015 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 8

I just wanted to say a big thank you to the people on this forum who take the time to answer questions from beginners and post their experiences for all to see. 

I did a 4-tier wedding cake, link below, for my daughter's wedding this past Saturday. I am just a home baker who likes to make cakes for my kid's birthdays and has done a few cakes for friends and families.

When I agreed to make her cake I relied almost solely on this site to read, learn, and ask a few questions.

If there are other beginners out there attempting to do the same thing, here are some tips from a fellow newbie.

1) Bake in advance and freeze those cakes. I got so many compliments on the moistness of the cakes and the flavors.

2) Stick to a tried and true recipe if you don't already have one you know will work. (I used the classic WASC recipe with lemon juice as part of the liquid.)

3) Practice everything from the fondant to the stacking.

4) Invest in a good support system. I used SPS and it was fabulous!

5) Keep the cakes cold for easier decorating/transporting. I used white chocolate ganache under the fondant and it held up in 95 degree weather inside the barn because the cake was cold.

I hope this helps someone else. My cake wasn't perfect but I was proud of it and my daughter loved it.  

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3344160/first-big-wedding-cake

7 replies
mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 23 Jun 2015 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 8

It looks fantastic!!!!!!!!!

great work and congratulations on your daughter's big day!   

I have yet to do a wedding...I am terrified to be just any bride's first.  But my niece is getting married next year and I pretty much commandeered cake rights ;)  

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jun 2015 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 8

Great job!  And I agree - SPS is fabulous!

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 23 Jun 2015 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 8

So beautiful!  Congratulations!

Whiteflower1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Whiteflower1 Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 12:51am
post #5 of 8

Looks gorgeous!! Great job

Debbie45628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie45628 Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 9:57am
post #6 of 8

Beautiful cake, good job!!

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 5:20am
post #7 of 8

Wow!! For your first wedding cake you did a fabulous job!! Cake is very pretty!! Kudos!!!

Izzylyssesweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzylyssesweets Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 5:50am
post #8 of 8

Congrats to the newlyweds and to you also, the cake was beautiful! Thanks for the tips!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%