Doweling And Stacking Deep Wedding Cake

Decorating By Cjuk84 Updated 22 Jun 2015 , 3:46pm by Cjuk84

Cjuk84 Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 11:30am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone 

I have been asked to make a wedding cake which is a 3 tiered deep cake. The bottom tier will be 10" round, with 8" and 6" tiers stacked on top. The cake will be different variations on a sponge recipe. The bride wants tiers that are approx 5 inches deep each. I am usually very confident stacking/dowelling but am having a bit of trouble deciding the best way to go about dowelling it! Because of the depth of the tiers I was going to put a cake board half way through each individual tier to support the weight but am now undecided as to whether this is the best thing to do! Because of the depth of the cakes I'm really concerned about the bottom tier buckling!! I always dowel well and use the plastic dowels! If anyone can offer any advice as to what they would do in this situation I would be really grateful! I've never done a tiered deep cake so am quite worried about it! 

Thank you so much in advance!!!

3 replies
winniemog Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 4

My tiers are always 4-5 inches deep and I don't put internal dowels in then. It's only once I get over the 6" deep tiers that I put an extra card and internal dowels. I've used both softer cakes and dense mud cakes with no issue.

Mme.Buttercream Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 4

I, too, regularly make tiers 5" high, and I dowel them but with straws. If it's a larger cake, bottom tier 12" or more, I switch to using wooden dowels on the bottom and continue with the straws on the smaller tiers. So far so good. (30 years)

Cjuk84 Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 4

Lovely, thank you both so much for your replies! Have made me feel a little more confident about it!! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%